The following will apply for student with a tuition fee liability who withdraw from or suspend their studies; i.e. self-funding students or students with a sponsor other than SAAS, SLC or Research Council. Where a sponsor has made a payment direct to the University and a refund of tuition fees is appropriate, the University will reimburse the sponsor/funder direct.
In all cases, failure in academic studies does not constitute a reason for refund.
Key Messages students should know about Tuition Fee Refund
- Where the formal start date of a programme of study is January (i.e. Semester 2 of the Academic Calendar) this will be equivalent to Semester 1 for students of these programmes.
- Students who matriculate/register for a Masters level programme and opt to graduate with an award of Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma will not be entitled to a reduction or refund of tuition fees.
- Where a student has their studies terminated by the University for academic and/or disciplinary reasons they will not be entitled to a tuition fee refund.
- At the discretion of the University, a refund of tuition frees may be made to students who withdraw from a programme with appropriate academic approval. Any refund will be calculated pro-rata from the approved withdrawal date. Formal approval will be required from the Dean of School and School Manager or their approved deputies, in consultation with the Programme Director and Head of Division or other appropriate programme lead.
- Where a taught postgraduate student has been awarded a scholarship, the fees due will be calculated pro-rata including the scholarship.
- Research students who seek a suspension from their studies will not be eligible for a refund. Any pre-payment of fees will be carried forward until the student resumes their studies.
Tuition Fees (Taught) Undergraduate and Postgraduate (full-time and part-time students)
- From the first teaching occurrence associated with the programme of study. 10% of the fees are due for the full academic year.
- From the second day of teaching associated with the programme of study to end of semester 1, full fees for all modules taken in Semester 1. In the case of non-modular programmes, this will be the relevant proportion of the annual fee for the months of study associated with a Semester.
- From the second day of Semester 2 to the end of Semester 2 (or if the programme of study normal end dates extends beyond the end of the second semester) full fees for all modules taken in Semesters 1 and 2. In the case of non-modular programmes, this will be the relevant proportion of the annual fee for the months of study associated with the semesters.
Tuition Fees Research Postgraduate (per year)
- From the start date of the programme, 10% of the fees are due for the full year.
- From the second day up to six months, 50% of fees will be payable.
- After six months from the start date up to one year, 100% of the fees will be payable.
Tuition Fees Distance Learning
School policy and specific Programme regulations apply for Distance Learning programmes, however, there will be no refund of cancellation of fees after matriculation/registration unless by exception and with the formal approval of the Dean of School and School Manager or their approved deputies, in consultation with the Programme Director and Head of Division or other appropriate lead.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
- The University Calendar showing all key dates in the academic year
- Withdrawals or Suspension of Studies Procedures
The document of the Tuition Fee Refund Policy, including approvals, renewals and other information, is available to be downloaded.
Applicable to School of Education & Social Work distance learning students only
Refund policy - (Programme)
Students who have paid in full by programme will be advised if a refund option is available by the appropriate programme contact within the School Office.
Students who permanently leave the programme of study will normally be entitled to a refund under the following circumstances:
- Students withdrawing by the Friday of week two of their programme will be given a full refund of any payment towards their tuition fees.
- Students withdrawing after the 2nd week of teaching will be charged the full semester fee (30 credits).
- Students withdrawing by the Friday of week two of their teaching in Semester 2 will be given a full refund of Semester 2 payments
- Students withdrawing after the 2nd week of teaching will be charged the full semester fee.
Note: Any refund will be calculated based on what you have paid less what you are due to pay. If a sponsor has paid for you a refund will be made direct to your sponsor.