US Direct Loans

Applying for Financial Aid at the University of Dundee.

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program offers Direct Loans to eligible students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, though you may deal with a different agency as your loan servicer.

The University of Dundee is recognised as a Foreign School by the US Department of Education and is eligible to certify loans for eligible students.

Foreign Schools are NOT eligible to certify Pell loans or grants.

Update for session 2020/1

The Department of Education do not update their systems until the spring. Therefore we are unable to commence processing of loans for session 2020/1 until early June 2020.

Exchange Rate

We will use a theoretical exchange rate of 1.45 to calculate the 2019/0 Cost of Attendance amounts. This is generally determined in May each year for next cohort of applicants at the same time as we calculate our Cost of Attendance, and it set to ensure we allow for volatility in the exchange rate as the year progresses.

At each disbursement of loans, when exchanging funds from dollars to sterling, we will use the rate applicable on the day we receive the funds from the US Department of Education.


Students receiving US Federal Aid are governed by stringent US Department of Education regulations. Borrowing is intended for on campus study only.

To be eligible for Federal Direct Loans, you must:

  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number
  • Be a student enrolled or accepted for enrolment in an eligible programme at an eligible institution and have a high school diploma
  • Be enrolled at least half-time for the period for which the loan is originated
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA) annually
  • Not be convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs while receiving financial aid
  • If male and aged 18-25 must be registered for Selective Service
  • Not be in default on an educational loan and must not owe a repayment on an adjusted federal grant
  • Comply with the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy

Students undertaking the following courses are NOT eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans:

  • Certificate and Diploma Programmes
  • Distance Learning Programmes
  • Medicine/Dentistry Programmes
  • Programmes which have a compulsory year abroad, unless the abroad school is a Federal Loan approved institution, and the study abroad is not in the US
  • Incoming study aboard and exchange programmes (non-graduating), students should apply for financial aid through the home university
  • PhD students who carry out periods of research in the US
  • Courses that are taught or part taught with another institution that is not eligible or not certified to participate in the William D Ford Direct Loans (Direct Loan) programme.

Postgraduate students - If you wish to return to the US before the end of the academic year and complete your dissertation at home this makes you ineligible for federal loans. Dependent on the date that you leave the UK, funds from your previous disbursement may have to be returned to the US Dept. of Education and any subsequent disbursements will not be released to you.

If your programme of study is not eligible, you may wish to apply for private loans to cover your cost of attendance.

If you have defaulted on payments for loans taken out prior to your studies here you will not be eligible for a loan. If a default status is recorded you must make arrangements to pay arrears with your loan servicer. We are unable to proceed with any loans until the default has been cleared. 

Types of loans and limits

For information and up-to-date interest charges and repayment rules please see ‘Direct Loan Overview’ via

The amount that you are eligible to borrow in each academic year is assessed by your grade level; whether you are a dependent or independent student; and your financial need and cost of attendance.

The following loan types are offered:

  • Subsidized: for undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need as determined by USDE regulations
  • Unsubsidized: not based on financial need and both undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply
  • PLUS: graduate/professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can apply for the Graduate or Parent PLUS loan

Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are capped and have maximum limits.

Loan limits

The maximum Stafford Loans you are allowed to borrow annually and over your academic career are set by the US Government. The amount available depends on your degree level; whether you have been classed as dependant or independent on your FAFSA; your financial need and your cost of attendance.

Stafford Loan Limits

Aggregate Subsidised

Aggregate Combined Loans (Sub & Unsub)

Undergraduate Dependent Students







Undergraduate Independent Students







Graduates & Professional Students



Private alternative loan

A private alternative loan is a non-federal education loan, through a private lender, typically in the student’s name and requiring a cosigner.

Students should exhaust all federal loans and scholarship opportunities before applying for a private alternative loan.

Currently we are aware of only one private lender - Sallie Mae, but students are advised to explore all options available to them and can opt to use any lender.

Sallie Mae also offers a "Parent Loan" which gives parents and other individuals a flexible way to take out an education loan in their name, while relieving the student of financial responsibility. For more information please refer directly to Sallie Mae

You cannot borrow more than the maximum Cost of Attendance (COA) which can be found on the Cost of Attendance section of our website.

Sallie Mae loans are disbursed in two instalments similar to Direct Loans.

Florida College Prepaid Plan

We are an approved provider for the Florida College Prepaid Plan. In order the release the funds, you should login into your account or download and fill out a transfer authorization naming the University of Dundee as their school. We will then receive notification of the payment process. Your funds will be disbursed once you have completed the matriculation process.

Cost of Attendance (CoA)

A student may only borrow up to an amount equal to their Cost of Attendance (COA). The Direct Loan Regulations stipulate that scholarships/awards should be deducted from a student's Cost of Attendance this reducing the loans available.

The COA reflects typical student expenses and consists of two basic components:

Direct Educational Costs – tuition, books and supplies

Indirect (living) Costs – accommodation, travel and personal expenses

You do not have to borrow the full amount of your CoA at the start of your course. You may wish to only borrow part of this. If you require access to part or the remainder of your loan you can email to request this is released during your studies. However, you cannot request access to these funds once your course has finished.

A breakdown of COA for studying at the University are as given below:

The exchange rate for 2019/0 is calculated as 1.45, (For an explanation of this please see "Exchange Rate" on this webpage).

Undergraduate Cost of Attendance for Academic Year 2019/0 GB Pounds US Dollars


GBP Sterling

US Dollars

Tuition fees















Total (excluding tuition fees)



Postgraduate Cost of Attendance for Academic Year 2019/0 GB Pounds US Dollars


GBP Sterling

US Dollars

Tuition Fees















Total (excluding tuition fees)




Dependent costs

The US Dept. of Education does not allow additional lending for a spouse. However if you have dependent children the regulations will allow for the cost of childcare whilst you are attending your studies. That this is the only cost allowed for dependents

How to apply

1. Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Students wishing to apply for financial aid are required to submit a FAFSA

On the FAFSA website you will find details of how to obtain a PIN number which you will need in order to complete your application.

The school code for University of Dundee is G10864.

Once your FAFSA is completed and processed it will generate a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review this to ensure you have made any corrections necessary. The SAR is used by the University of Dundee to determine your eligibility for a loan as stipulated by the US Department of Education.

Please email Dawn Tindal ( to confirm that your SAR is complete.

2. Complete a Master Promisary Note (MPN)

All students taking out a federal Direct Loan are required to complete a Master Promisary Note annually. The MPN is the legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loans and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loans.

You can E-sign your MPN on the web site using your Federal Aid PIN which is the same as used for your FAFSA at Once you have signed in, chose Complete MPN and then Subsidised/Unsubsidised.

For Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS loans a separate MPN is required. PLUS loans are subject to a credit check and must be signed using a US postal address, otherwise the credit check will be pended.

Please ensure you chose the University of Dundee as your school, our code is G10864.

You can print the MPN and keep for your own records.

3. Entrance Counselling

All students applying for Direct Loans through the University of Dundee for the first time are required to complete Entrance Counselling. This provides you with information that will help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower, as well as other information to assist you with managing your loans.

You complete this on-line via the student loan website, using your PIN which is the same as for your FAFSA, via - click on the link to Complete Counselling.

You should complete counselling for each type of loan (i.e. subsidised/unsubsidised and/or Grad Plus) you are borrowing.

Please ensure you chose the University of Dundee as your school, our code is G10864. 

4. Credit Check

Credit checks are required for PLUS loans, both ParentPLUS and GradPLUS as this type of loan is credit based.

You can complete the Grad PLUS application via the student loan website This has an option for the Credit Check. You will require your PIN number which is the same as used for your FAFSA.

To be eligible for a PLUS loan the Credit Check decision must be “Accepted”.

Please ensure you chose the University of Dundee as your school, our code is G10864.

Credit check & endorser alternative

To be eligible for a PLUS Loan, you must not have an adverse credit history, which the Department will check for when you apply for the loan. If you are found to have an adverse credit history, you may still borrow a PLUS Loan if you get an endorser who does not have such a history. An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the loan if you do not. The endorser may not be the student on whose behalf a parent obtains a PLUS Loan. In some cases you may also be able to obtain a PLUS Loan if you document to our satisfaction that there are extenuating circumstances related to your adverse credit history

Continuing students

Students are required to complete a FAFSA for each year of their degree programme. Continuing students should complete a renewal FAFSA which is designed for continuing students, this can also be completed on-line at You should use the same PIN from previous years – if you have forgotten your PIN you can obtain this from

Students are also required to complete an MPN and credit check (if required) as section 2 and 4 above. Continuing students are not required to complete Entrance Counselling unless they are enrolling on a new degree programme, i.e. have completed MSc and returning to complete PhD. 

What happens next?

We can’t start work on your loan assessment until you have received and accepted a firm offer of admission for your programme of study. If your offer of admission is still at the conditional stage or if you haven’t sent your acceptance, we will hold your FAFSA application on file until you have completed the admissions process.

If you have any questions about the admissions process contact our undergraduate or postgraduate admissions team for further information, via

Assuming you have been cleared for admission, we will assess your eligibility and loan entitlement once you have completed your FAFSA and MPN etc as above. We will calculate your Cost of Attendance and email this to you, this will detail the maximum loan entitlement for your course. We will then ask you to confirm to us, by email, your acceptance of the loan and the amounts you wish to borrow.

When we receive your acceptance of the loan amounts, a formal Award Letter will be mailed to our Admissions Team, as evidence of funding to support your visa application. The Admissions Team will then proceed with your application and issuing of your CAS, and will email the Award Letter to you.

Your award letter is proof that you have fully completed the loan application process. The award letter will be accepted by the visa authorities as evidence that you have the required funds to support your studies for the 2019/0 year.

Loan disbursement

Once your loans have been certified you will receive confirmation of the amounts, disbursement dates and amounts of each disbursement. This letter may be used as proof of funding for VISA purposes.

Loans will be disbursed in equal amounts, once you have matriculated in September and following satisfactory academic progress in January. These dates may vary for students who commence studies throughout the session.

We cannot request the release of your loan until you have completed the matriculation process.

Please ensure you have sufficient funds to see you through the first 3-4 weeks when you arrive. This will allow time for you to open a UK bank account, your loan to be disbursed and the initial funds to clear in your account.

Tuition fees will be payable in two or three instalments to coincide with your disbursements as will any residences fees due for university accommodation.

The funds come in dollars directly to the University. We will convert these into £ sterling and will deduct half your tuition fees and, where relevant, university residence fees. The balance of remaining funds will be paid into your UK bank account. **

** If your loans are insufficient to meet your tuition fee needs you will need to arrange to make the shortfall by paying this immediately or by direct debit.

After you have matriculated, and prior to the disbursement of your loans, you are required to have a signed agreement with our Sales Ledger Office regarding your tuition / residence fees. The office is located within the Cash Office (Ground Floor of the Tower Building).  If you are unable to attend in person, then this can be arranged by-email with the Sales Ledger Team – Copies of agreement can be signed and scanned back to the email as above.

At each disbursement of loans*, when exchanging funds from dollars to sterling, we will use the rate applicable on the day we receive the funds from the US Department of Education.

Disbursement for SallieMae Private Loans

SallieMae loans are administered in two disbursements by Western Union. Once you have completed your application and notified us of this, we will supply your details to Western Union. They will then contact you with log in details for their secure site, and request you submit your bank details to them. Once you have matriculated we will notify Sallie Mae and initiate the drawn down of your funds. We will notify Western Union once the funds have been cleared. Your tuition fees and any residence fees will be deducted from the amount and the remainder paid into your chosen bank account.

After you have matriculated, and prior to the disbursement of your loans, you are required to have a signed agreement with our Sales Ledger Office regarding your tuition / residence fees. The office is located within the Cash Office (Ground Floor of the Tower Building).  If you are unable to attend in person, then this can be arranged by-email with the Sales Ledger Team – Copies of agreement can be signed and scanned back to the email as above.

*For further disbursements, we require confirmation of your Satisfactory Academic Progress before we will request your funds.

The disbursement dates provided are estimated. Please do not depend on funds being credited to your account on that date. You may need to allow 5-6 working days for the whole release of funds process to complete.

Overview of process 


  • Complete FAFSA online at including entrance counselling, promisary notes and, if applying for a GradPLUS loan, credit check via
  • The school code for University of Dundee is G10864.
  • email Dawn Tindal to confirm FAFSA has been completed
  • May – University will determine exchange rate and Cost of Attendance amounts for forthcoming session
  • May/June – Registry will contact with you with information regarding your Cost of Attendance and the amount you are eligible to borrow.
  • Decide how much you wish to borrow and confirm to Registry. 
  • Registry with produce a letter to confirm your loan with disbursement dates. The document will be passed to our Admissions Office to process with your offer.
  • Admissions Office will email the letter to you as proof of funding for Visa purposes. 
  • Once you have matriculated Registry will notify the U.S. of your enrolment and will initiate the drawn down of funds
  • You can then print a confirmation of student status via your eVision account, as proof for opening a UK bank account.
  • Contact the Cash Office to confirm the details of your UK bank account and to complete a signed agreement for your tuition/residences fees
  • Registry will email you once your funds have been drawn down from the US bank. You will have 14 days to cancel the funds.
  • Please ensure you have sufficient funds to see you through the first 3-4weeks when you arrive. This will allow time for you to open a UK bank account, your loan to be disbursed and the initial funds to clear in your account.


Other information

Opening a UK Bank Account:

We would advise you to open a UK bank account as soon as possible once you have completed the matriculation process. During Welcome Week, local banks will be in attendance at the main Matriculation venue - Bonar Hall, where you will be able to open a bank account. During this period local bank branches tend to be very busy so if prefer to call into the branch to open an account, please make an appointment with one of them as early as you can. The bank will need to see ID and a certifying letter confirming your student status with us. You can download that letter once you have completed the matriculation process, via your eVision account. Once you have a note of your bank details, please contact the Cash Office (located on Ground Floor of Tower Building) to confirm your bank details, as they will require this information to release your funds.

Tax form 1098T:

As a foreign institution, we cannot issue a 1098-T form for students. If you need a formal document to confirm the tuition fees paid please email Dawn ( to request a Certificate of Fees Paid.

Deferment and Repayments


If you have taken out Federal student loans prior to coming to Dundee, and if you are taking out loans in the current year, we will automatically update your enrolment details on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) every 60 days to ensure that your repayments are deferred. The information we provide is shared with all of the US Department of Education's servicing agents, who are responsible for administering loan repayments.

If you are not taking out loans for your studies while you are here and need a loan deferment for previous loans, please email your In School Deferment form to Dawn Tindal for completion.

That once you have completed your period of registered or supervised study you cease to be enrolled at least half time with us. The date when your studies end is not the same as the date when you will graduate and receive your degree. If you are a doctoral student and go on to a writing up year, you will continue to be classified as enrolled at least half time and still be able to defer your loans for one further 12 month period. Your completion date will be the date that you submit your thesis.


It is your responsibility to repay your loans. When you leave your course or drop below half time study, this will be reported to NSLDS and you will enter a six-month grace period (this does not apply to PLUS loans which go into repayment immediately, but you can request a deferment).

There are a number of repayment options available and you should discuss these with your loan servicer to determine which is the most appropriate for you. If you do not select a repayment plan you will be placed on the standard plan with fixed repayments for up to ten years. You can find details of your loan servicer on the NSLDS Website.

Further details about repayment plans, including interactive calculators can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students who are attending the University of Dundee and in receipt of Federal Aid are required to make satisfactory progress in their degree programme. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) means the student is proceeding in a positive manner towards fulfilling degree requirements.

We will check satisfactory progress is being attained prior to releasing each disbursement of federal aid.

The University of Dundee’s academic programmes are governed by the regulations as set out in the University Calendar

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid with the qualitative standard, a student must maintain the academic standing necessary to proceed.

Failure to Make Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • The student will receive a Financial Aid Warning. This warning will last for one payment period (i.e. until the next disbursement), during which time the student can still receive financial aid.
  • If the student regains satisfactory academic progress by the next disbursement due date, the next disbursement will be released and the student will be removed from the Financial Aid Warning status.
  • If the student fails to regain Satisfactory Academic Progress by the next disbursement due date, they will no longer be eligible for Financial Aid (unless the student appeals) and funds will not be disbursed.
  • The student can appeal the decision within 14 days of being notified that their aid has been suspended by submitting a letter to the Registry explaining why they did not meet SAP (e.g. injury, health, family reasons etc.) and what has changed that will allow them to meet the requirements.
  • Registry will discuss this with the school and/or adviser of studies and a decision and response will be sent to the student within 14 days.
  • If the appeal is unsuccessful, the student is no longer eligible for federal financial aid with immediate effect.
  • If the appeal is successful the student is placed on Financial Aid Probation. They will be given specific requirements to meet e.g. re-sitting and passing exams/submitting dissertations/making up lost module time etc. Eligibility for Financial Aid will continue.
  • If the above specific appeal requirements are not met then the student will again become ineligible for financial aid.

Regardless of the above, students who exceed 150% of the published length of their programme are no longer entitled to receive Federal Aid.

Exit Counselling

When your enrolment at the University of Dundee ceases you are required to complete exit counselling. This includes graduation or withdrawal from the University.

You will be asked to complete your counselling on the Student Loans website. This session takes approximately 30 mins and provides you with the information on your rights and the repayments of your loans. You will require your PIN number as used for your FAFSA application.

Please email Dawn Tindal to confirm this has been completed. 

Leave of Absence and withdrawals


Temporary Withdrawal

This is a temporary interruption in a student's program of study and refers to the specific time period during a program when a student is not in attendance and will return to complete the program. Students returning from a LoA are not required to re-apply for admission but must re-register for their courses. 

Official Withdrawal

A “withdrawal” refers to a student’s intent to completely terminate studies at an institution with no expectation of return. Students who subsequently decide to return to their studies, must re-apply for admission through the University’s Office of Admissions.

Unofficial Withdrawal

An unofficial withdrawal is one where the University has not received notice from the student that the student has ceased or will cease attending the University.

Temporary/Permanent Withdrawal Request Forms

The form required by the University request a withdrawal is available via your School Office.

How to Withdraw

Students are advised to make an appointment to discuss any withdrawal and leave of absence requests with their School Office, in the first instance. The School Office will submit the relevant withdrawal/absence paperwork to the Registry for processing.

Further information regarding withdrawing from your course

Return of Title IV (R2T4) Policy


The law specifies how the University must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance (Stafford Loans) that students earn if they withdraw or interrupt their studies. The Registry is responsible for calculating R2T4 and the Finance Office is responsible for transferring the funds. The Registry uses worksheets provided by the US Department of Education to calculate the R2T4 funds. All funds must be returned to the lender within 45 days of the date of when the University determined that a student withdrew. 

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, students can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243).

TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid at

When a student withdraws during a payment period, the amount of Title IV program assistance that has been earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula.

The date of withdrawal is determined by the Supervisor/School Manager and will be the last date of attendance. This date will be also be used to inform NSLDS of the last date of recorded attendance. If the student received (or the University received on the student’s behalf) less assistance than the amount that earned, the student may be able to receive those additional funds. If the student received more assistance than was earned, the excess funds must be returned by the University and/or the student.

If the exact date cannot be determined, the University will assume a 50% attendance, and use that date as the last date of attendance. Students who do not attend even one class, are ineligible for Title IV funds and all of the loan proceeds will be returned to the lender.

The amount of assistance earned is determined on a pro rata basis. The payment period is the semester for which the loan was certified and the per cent of attendance is calculated by dividing the number of day attended by the total number of days in the payment period. For example, if the student completes 30% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student has earned 30% of the assistance they were originally scheduled to receive. Once the student has completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, all the assistance that the student was scheduled to receive for that period is considered to have been earned If the student did not receive all of the funds that were earned, he or she may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, the student may choose to decline the loan funds so that additional debt is not incurred. The Registry will use the R2T4 worksheets as provided by the US Department of education to determine how much of the loan may be retained and how much must be returned.

The University may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement (including loan funds, if the student accepts them) for tuition fees and residences. For all other University charges, the University needs the student’s permission to use the post-withdrawal disbursement. If the student does not give permission (which some schools ask for at the time of enrollment) the student will not be offered the funds. However, it may be in one’s best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce the debt at the University.

There are some Title IV funds that students were scheduled to receive that cannot be earned once a student withdraws because of other eligibility requirements. For example, in certain circumstances, if a first-time, first-year undergraduate student has not completed the first 30 days of the program before withdrawal, the student will not earn any FFEL loan funds that he or she would have received had the student remained enrolled past the 30th day. If the student receives (or the University receives on behalf of the student) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, the University must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:


  1. The institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of the funds, or
  2. The entire amount of excess funds.


The school must return this amount even if it didn't keep this amount of the Title IV program funds. If the school is not required to return all of the excess funds, the student must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that must be returned, the student repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, scheduled payments are made to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Students who have received a refund of their loan proceeds before withdrawing may be required to return part or all of those funds to the lender.

Title IV funds will be returned in the following order:


  1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans
  2. Subsidized Federal Stafford loans
  3. PLUS Loan Funds


The requirements for Title IV program funds when students withdraw are separate from any refund policy that the University may have. Therefore, the student may still owe funds to the University to cover unpaid institutional charges. The University may also attempt to collect from the student any Title IV program funds that the University was required to return.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal

Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web.

Default Management Plan

This default management plan contains some of the strategies used by the University of Dundee to help our American Loan Students understand the responsibility of borrowing loans to fund their degree studies. The purpose is to reduce the number of students who default on loan repayments.

1. Entrance and Counselling

All first time borrowers of Direct Loan program, new students or students changing study path are required to undertake entrance counselling where students are advised about:

  • how the master promissory note works,
  • the importance of repaying the loan,
  • the consequences of default, and
  • sample monthly repayment amounts

2. Early Identification and Counselling for Students at Risk of Progression/Withdrawal

Schools are responsible for identifying students at risk of withdrawing and counselling them accordingly with a view to retaining those students.

Students who withdraw or are considering withdrawing prior to the completion of their programme are interviewed by a member of their School. They are provided with guidance at that interview and every effort will be made to resolve any issues to prevent the student withdrawal. US students who have withdrawn are contacted by the Registry. They will provide information on Title IV refunds and request that they complete Exit Counselling.

3. Communication

All Federal Direct Loan students are directed to the mandatory Foreign Schools Consumer Information. Academic progress and enrolment status are held on the central student record system which is accessible by all relevant offices across campus including the office that disburses funds and authorise payments.

In addition we request confirmation from the students’ School of their satisfactory academic progress before disbursement of funds.

Up to date contact information for both the student and next of kin is obtained from students at enrolment.

The University has effective procedures in place to ensure accurate and timely communications across the relevant departments. This ensures the relevant aid is disbursed on time and to the correct students and is compliant with Direct Loan regulations.

4. Exit Counselling

Graduating and withdrawing students are advised that they must undertake Exit Counselling as a condition of borrowing Federal Direct Loans. All students are directed to:

Students must confirm to the US Loan Administrator that they have completed exit counselling and a copy is retained in the student file. 

5. Timely and Accurate Enrolment Reporting

The University of Dundee will ensure that accurate information on enrolments including updates are submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at regular intervals throughout the year.

6. Analyse Defaulted Loan Data

Defaulted loan data is monitored to identify defaulting borrowers and to analyse reasons the reasons for defaulting. The Loan Record Detail Report (LRDR) is reviewed to determine if there are common characteristics among defaulters.

Any student defaulting on their loans and who contacts the Registry will be directed to their individual Loan Servicer and provided with contact details to discuss repayment options.

7. Tools and Activities for Schools

The University of Dundee will make use of the recommended tools listed below to ensure data accuracy and use effective loan counselling and default prevention management techniques to aid students and the University.

Where do I begin?

FSA Assessments for Default Prevention and Management

8. Loan Counselling

9. Enrolment Reporting and Data Accuracy

10. Default Prevention

or contact your Loan Servicer

11. General Connections/Publications

Consumer Disclosure Information

The University is listed in the Education (Recognised Bodies) (Scotland) Order as a recognised degree-awarding body.

Withdrawal procedures

Information regarding withdrawing from your course

Get in touch 

For queries regarding the Direct Loan process please contact :

Dawn Tindal, Registry

Please remember to advise Dawn, by email, once you have completed your FAFSA.


For queries regarding life at the University or the VISA process please contact:

Libby Findlay, International Engagement Officer


For queries regarding bank accounts and the signed agreement for tuition/residence fees please contact: