The Research Degrees Subcommittee is the University body concerned with the assurance of quality of research degree programmes across the University. Its remit covers the research degree regulations and maintenance of the Research Degree Quality Code. The Registry is the unit with responsibility for day-to-day administration of research student affairs.
Research Degree Regulations are available from the University Calendar. The Research Degree Quality Code gives details of relevant policies and procedures, and each chapter can be accessed from the left-hand panel of this page.
Postgraduate student support
The University provides a number of routes of support for postgraduate students:
- the supervisory arrangements and school-run thesis monitoring schemes, as detailed in the Research Degrees Quality Code;
- the generic skills training programme organised by Organisational & Professional Development;
- training for postgraduates who teach from the Academic Skills Centre (ASC);
- Student Services for areas such as: careers, counselling, disability services, funding, health, international student support, music, nursery, peer connections, residences and the student advisory service; and
- general pastoral support for research students is by contacting the Enquiry Centre, Student Services to make an appointment.
- English language support from English for International Students (EIS)
Involvement of research students in QA for Research Degrees
DUSA provides student representation on the relevant committees that deal with postgraduate affairs. Postgraduate students are represented on the DUSA Student Representative Council. For further details, consult the section on Student Representation.
The University takes part in the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) organised by the HE Academy. Results are discussed at the Research Degree Subcommittee, reporting to the Leaning and Teaching Committee, the Research Committee and Senate.
Confidentiality and intellectual property undertaking form for postgraduate research studentsGuidance , Form
Criteria for linked degree/joint supervision of postgraduate programmes studied partly overseasGuidance , Policy
Code of practice on consultancy, teaching and other work by PhD studentsGuidance , Policy
Guidance notes for Viva Voce examinations by video link for conveners of the examining committeeGuidance
Industrial CASE (Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering) Studentships: supervisory conflicts of interest guidanceGuidance , Policy
Guidance on teaching and other work for Schools by PhD studentsGuidance
- Discipline, Complaints and Appeals
- Flowchart for Submission of the Research Thesis for Examination: Submission to Viva Examination
- Flowchart for Submission of the Research Thesis for Examination: Viva Examination to Award
- Form and Presentation of theses for higher degrees
- Intention to submit research thesis for final examination
- Outline and procedure for degree upgrade review 4.2 of the Research Degrees Quality Code