Application form and guidance for consideration of mitigating circumstances
The Mitigating/Extenuating Circumstances (MC) guidance notes have been further revised to account for the continuing situation arising from Coronavirus (COVID-19), as at December 2020.
Students continue to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic in one way or another. The University understands this and continues to support you, for example academic schools have made adjustments to your teaching, learning, and assessment to account for the circumstances. Boards of Examiners, who make the decision to award qualifications, will also take these extraordinary circumstances into account when considering your assessment results.
The University's position on no detriment is explained in our guide to the no detriment policy. This means that you do not need to submit mitigating circumstances requests which relate to the general coronavirus (COVID-19) situation for any of your modules this academic year. However, if you feel you have been impacted in a way that is particular to your circumstances and that may not be accounted for through the arrangements above, i.e. adjustments to your teaching, learning, and assessment and the no detriment approach, you may want to submit additional information which is specific to you for your School Mitigating Circumstances Committee to consider. You should do this using the MC Application form.
The following adjustments are specific to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic:
- You do not need to provide medical confirmation of a period of self-isolation and/or coronavirus (Covid-19) diagnosis, instead you can do what is called 'self-certify'. You can do this for an absence/illness of up to 14 days – you will not need a medical certificate from your GP.
- It may also be difficult to get a medical certificate from your GP at this time for any other medical issue, and the School Mitigating Circumstances Committee will take this into account, so please do not worry if you cannot provide all of the evidence normally required for mitigating circumstances.
- If you have been involved in providing support to the coronavirus effort, as a medic, nurse, social worker, educator or carer for an affected person(s) or in any other capacity you can self-certify and explain the nature and extent of your contribution for the School Mitigating Circumstances Committee to consider.
- Other instances, such as technology issues including problems with internet access and access to IT equipment, or carer responsibilities such as looking after your children, dependents or others, which are specific to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Please let your School know when they occur so we can offer support when you need it.
- Circumstances relating to the coronavirus may mean that the composition of the Mitigating Circumstances Committee might have to be different. For example, if a staff member is unwell or unable to perform the role, or indeed if the University needs to take priority action to ensure certain categories of students (such as medical, social work and nursing students) are considered urgently to allow them to support the national effort for coronavirus. Please be assured that the Committee will comprise your academics and suitably qualified staff and will maintain the required standards of fairness and confidentiality.
Please remember, whenever you need it support and guidance is available from the University, including your School, DUSA and Student Services.
Application deadlines and School contacts for Mitigating Circumstances Applications
Please see the table below for the relevant email address to send your application.
Deadlines for submission dates can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
|School of Business||SBUS-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Dentistry||SDEN-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design||DJCADLandT@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Education and Social Work||SESW-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Humanities||Humanities@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Life Sciences||SLSC-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Health Sciences||HealthSciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Medicine:|
|Undergraduate Programmes (MBChB, BMSc, Gateway to Medicine)||email@example.com|
|Postgraduate Research Programmes||Medicine-PGR@dundee.ac.uk|
|MSc Applied Neurosciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Health Data Science for Applied Precision Medicineemail@example.com|
|Human Clinical Embryology and Assisted Conceptionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Diabetes Care, Education and Managementemail@example.com|
|Master of Orthopaedic Surgery (MCh Orth)||MChOrth@dundee.ac.uk|
|MSc in Motion Analysisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MSc Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technologyemail@example.com|
|MSc Orthopaedic Sciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Audit and Research for Healthcare Professionalsemail@example.com|
|MRes Sports Biomechanics and Rehabilitationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Palliative Care Researchemail@example.com|
|Psychological Therapy in Primary Carefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Science and Engineering||SSEN-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Architecture and Urban Planning||SSOC-DAUP-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Geography and Environmental Science||SSOC-DGEO-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Law (including Diploma in Legal Practice)||SSOC-DLAW-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Politics and International Relations||SSOC-DPOL-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|