Application form and guidance for consideration of mitigating circumstances
The Mitigating/Extenuating Circumstances (MC) guidance notes have been further revised to account for the continuing situation arising from Coronavirus (Covid-19), as at September 2021.
|School of Business||SBUS-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Dentistry||SDEN-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design||DJCADLandT@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Education and Social Work||SESW-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Humanities||Humanities@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Life Sciences||SLSC-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|School of Health Sciences||HealthSciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Medicine:|
|Undergraduate Programmes (MBChB, BMSc, Gateway to Medicine)||email@example.com|
|Postgraduate Research Programmes||Medicine-PGR@dundee.ac.uk|
|MSc Applied Neurosciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Health Data Science for Applied Precision Medicineemail@example.com|
|Human Clinical Embryology and Assisted Conceptionfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Diabetes Care, Education and Managementemail@example.com|
|Master of Orthopaedic Surgery (MCh Orth)||MChOrth@dundee.ac.uk|
|MSc in Motion Analysisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MSc Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technologyemail@example.com|
|MSc Orthopaedic Sciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Audit and Research for Healthcare Professionalsemail@example.com|
|MRes Sports Biomechanics and Rehabilitationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Palliative Care Researchemail@example.com|
|Psychological Therapy in Primary Carefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Science and Engineering||SSEN-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Geography and Environmental Science||SSOC-DGEO-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Law (including Diploma in Legal Practice)||SSOC-DLAW-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Politics and International Relations||SSOC-DPOL-MC-Confidential@dundee.ac.uk|
|Professional Doctorate Programmeemail@example.com|
Students continue to be affected by the coronavirus pandemic in one way or another. The University understands this and continues to support you, for example academic Schools have made adjustments to your teaching, learning, and assessment to account for the circumstances. Boards of Examiners, who make the decision to award qualifications, will also take these extraordinary circumstances into account when considering your assessment results.
If you feel you have been impacted in a way that is particular to your circumstances and that may not be accounted for through the arrangements above, i.e. adjustments to your teaching, learning, and assessment, you may want to submit additional information which is specific to you for your School Mitigating Circumstances Committee to consider. You should do this using the MC Application form.
The following adjustments are specific to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic:
- You do not need to provide medical confirmation of any illnesses at this time, instead you can do what is called ‘self-certify’. You can do this for an absence/illness of up to 7 days – you will not need a medical certificate from your GP.
- For illnesses longer than 7 days, it may be difficult to get a medical certificate from your GP at this time; please obtain what you can and, in circumstances where this has not been possible, explain and evidence why this is the case
- It may be particularly difficult to get medical evidence if you have had COVID-19. So, the mitigating circumstances committee will accept a copy of the NHS text message confirming the diagnosis, or equivalent from your own country of residence.
- If you have been involved in providing support to the coronavirus effort, as a medic, nurse, social worker, educator or carer for an affected person(s) or in any other capacity, you can self-certify and explain the nature and extent of your contribution for the School Mitigating Circumstances Committee to consider.
- If you have responsibilities such as looking after your children, dependants, or others, which are specific to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Please let your School know when they occur so we can offer support when you need it.
- If you have technology issues including problems with internet access and access to IT equipment. Please let your School know when they occur so we can offer support when you need it. If you then need to submit mitigating circumstances around technology issues please make sure you clearly indicate the impact on your studies of these issues.
- Circumstances relating to the coronavirus may mean that the composition of the Mitigating Circumstances Committee might have to be different. For example, if a staff member is unwell or unable to perform the role, or indeed if the University needs to take priority action to ensure certain categories of students (such as medical, social work and nursing students) are considered urgently to allow them to support the national effort for coronavirus. Please be assured that the Committee will comprise academics from the University of Dundee and suitably qualified staff and will maintain the required standards of fairness and confidentiality.
Please remember, whenever you need it support and guidance are available from the University, including your School, DUSA and Student Services.
Application deadlines and School contacts for Mitigating Circumstances Applications
Please see the table below for the relevant email address to send your application.