Before you buy
Ask yourself the following:
- Do I really need it?
- Can I get it from someone else within the University?
- Where's the money coming from?
Where do I Start?
First, find out if there is an existing framework agreement or contract in place.
Next, follow the relevant steps outlined below:
Purchasers must check existing UoD Contracts
|Process to be undertaken|
|£0 - £5,000||Single Quote|
|£5,001 - £50,000||Three Written Quotes|
|£50,001 - £181,302||Tender Process undertaken by Procurement *|
|>£181,303||Full OJEU Process undertaken by Procurement *|
|* Not applicable for Estates & Buildings or RIS|
Non-competitive Action (formerly SSJ)
- NCA (Non-Competitive Action) process must be completed if value of contract / order is greater than £5,000 and it is impossilbe or impracticable to undertake a competitive procurement process as described above.
- NCA can only be used when:
- Product/service is unique and no other supplier can provide an equivalent that meets the users requirements; or
- Specific product/service is required to meet existing infrastructure/system or for reasons of continuity.
- NCA must meet one or more of the above criteria and be accompanied by evidence.
- You must contact the Procurement Team to discuss your requirement before completing or submitting an NCA form.
When to use Pcard or OneUniversity
- Refer to Procurement Policy (PROC-PO-000)
- If purchaser intends to transact with supplier again or the total cost of the item/service is greater than £5,000, then the Purchaser should complete the Pecos “New Supplier” form and the supplier will be added to Pecos.
Purchaser must determine they are achieving Value for Money (VfM)
VfM can be achieved when the purchaser is:
- confident the price/cost of the item/service is reflective of what it would cost if other suppliers were quoting; and/or
- confident price being paid is "fair" based on previous experience or market/product awareness.
Three Written Quotes
Email are sufficient.
Purchaser must also request relevant insurance from the supplier and that the University's Terms & Conditions are in place and agreed.
Low Value Tender process
Low Value Tender template to be used
The process is more formal and requires pre-determined evaluation criteria and an objective, evidence-based scoring exercise to be undertaken.
Full OJEU process undertaken by Procurement and advertised on Public Contracts Scotland (PCS).
When getting a quote, keep in mind all figures exclude VAT and find out if the quote includes these requirements:
- Whole Life Costs
- Sustainability of supply
- Delivery/ Install
- Health and Safety / WEEE
- Removal of packaging
How to get a quote
If values are above £50K
HM Revenue & Customs
Find out the important changes to Import Duty Charges and how to claim for Import Duty Relief for eligible biological and chemical substances.