Wellcome 4-Year PhD Programme in Integrated Molecular, Cellular and Translational Biology
The Wellcome Integrated molecular, cellular and translational biology PhD programme combines scientific excellence with a commitment to improving the working environment and transition support for trainees.
This PhD programme, provided by world-renowned scientists from the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee, will train the next generation of scientists at the forefront of international science. Students will join our supportive and positive research culture with the opportunity to select research projects centred around four themes:
- Cellular Regulation
- Protein Modification
- Infection and Immunity
- Drug Discovery and Translation
Learn more about each theme and the Principal Investigators who work in these areas.
The key elements of the programme consist of:
- 5-week induction programme covering cutting-edge scientific skills (cell culture, cell sorting, imaging, protein analysis and proteomics), resilience and wellbeing and best practice in biomedical research
- Three 5-6 week placements in laboratories with divergent themes, followed by an optional 10-11 week “mini-project’
- PhD projects in laboratories run by internationally renowned scientists
- Option of a career enhancement placement in year 3 driven by individual career aspirations
- Provision of flexible funding to support transitions post thesis-submission
- Comprehensive skills training including ‘statistics for bioscience’ and a bespoke coaching programme
Five studentships are available each year with entry in September. Each studentship provides a generous stipend (£19,919 in year 1 rising to £23,997 in year 4), fees, training and travel budget. Part-time study is an option (please indicate at time of application) and we offer enhanced support to individuals with primary care responsibilities or disabilities.
Programme Management Committee
|Professor Simon Arthur||Professoremail@example.com|
|Professor Ronald Hay||Professor||R.T.Hay@dundee.ac.uk|
|Professor Sarah Coulthurst||Professor and Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowship||S.J.Coulthurst@dundee.ac.uk|
|Professor Miratul Muqit||Professor (Clinical)||M.Muqit@dundee.ac.uk|
Please feel free to contact our student ambassador if you have a question for a current student on the programme:
Applicants are expected to hold a degree in a relevant subject or have demonstrably equivalent experience.
We invite applications from all nationalities and our Wellcome programme provides support for costs associated with UK visas for successful International applicants
How to apply
Applications are now closed for this programme, if we do not fill all of our places for September 2023, we will re-advertise on this page and on FindAPhD.
Recruitment will begin again later this year for September 2024.