+44 (0)1382 385620
Dr Sergei Vinogradov (LLB, PhD Moscow State University), is a Senior Lecturer at CEPMLP and Director of our LLM programme.
He joined the Centre as a Senior Research Fellow in April 1996. Before joining the Centre, between 1994 and 1996, he was a visiting scholar at the Max-Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg (Germany). Prior to that, he worked as a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of State and Law of the USSR (Russian) Academy of Sciences. He also taught international law at the Faculty of Law of the Moscow State University.
His main field of expertise includes international environmental law, international law of natural resources, the law of the sea, as well as environmental and natural resource law of Russia and the CIS. He is an elected member of the International Council for Environmental Law (Bonn) and was a member of the Water Resources Committee of the International Law Association and of the Commission on Environmental Law of the IUCN/World Conservation Union. He is a co-editor of the series of books “International and National Water Law and Policy” (Kluwer Law International) and a co-editor of the “Water Law and Policy Series” of books (International Water Association Publishing). He acted as a legal advisor to the UNECE, UNESCO, UNEP, World Bank and other international and donor agencies in drafting and negotiating intergovernmental agreements for the Caspian and Black Seas, the Dniester and Kura River basins, and national water and environment-related legislation.
His current research interests are in the areas of water and energy security, environmental regulation of offshore petroleum activities, transboundary water resources and cross-border energy infrastructures, and protection of the marine environment.
Areas of Academic Interest and Ongoing Research
- Water Security and International Law of Water Resources
- Research project "Water Security in the XXI Century: International Legal Response" (with P. Wouters)
- Research project "Managing Europe’s Transboundary Watercourses: Legal Frameworks" (with A. Rieu-Clarke)
- International Environmental Law
- "International Environmental Law" – a special section (stand-alone publication) of the 'Environmental Law' book, Scottish Universities Law Institute (SULI)
- Paper "Thinking the Unsinkable: Climate Change, Sea-Level Rise and Maritime Boundaries"
- Ocean Governance
- Paper "After the 'Perfect Storm' in the Sea of Azov: Polluted Waters and a Murky Legal Regime"
- Paper "Structuring Regimes to Address the Land-Based Marine Pollution" (with E. Kirk)
- Research project: "Offshore Mineral Resources and Outer Continental Shelf Claims: Russian and Nigerian Approaches" (with F. Abba)
- Energy Security and Transnational Energy Infrastructures
- "Energy Security and International Law: The EU and Russian Perspectives" (with S. Seliverstov, MGIMO/University, Moscow)
- "Cross-border Pipelines in Central Asia: Legal Problems"