+44 (0)1382 381446
Pete Glen is currently a Senior Lecturer in Community Education at the University of Dundee.
Pete teaches and tutors students on the CLD (Community Learning & Development) and Community Education programmes and he also leads the BA Professional Development programme for distanced, part time students from a wide range of professional contexts.
Pete’s scholarship, teaching and support for research focus on community engagement, interprofessional practice, professional and personal values, principle centred leadership, learning cultures and sustainability , critically reflective practice , youth work & community education .
Pete leads an interdisciplinary tutor team and has extensive experience working collaboratively with others; he believes strongly in the benefits of inter professional working and lifelong learning. He also has a passion for critically reflective and creative approaches and loves the privilege of playing his part in the process of growing partnerships, people, teams, organisations and communities of practice.
With over 30 years’ experience in the professional field , Pete has had a varied career in local authority, the voluntary sector and the NHS. Combining this with working and teaching in higher education enables teaching and scholarship which draws from youth work , community arts, health promotion, outdoor education and integrated health services. Pete also carried out a number of roles before leading the interdisciplinary team as manager of ‘The Corner’, Health & Outreach Services for Young People in Dundee.
Lifelong learning, equality and social justice drive his continuing practice, teaching and philosophy.
- 2016 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2013: Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Dundee
- 2007-2010: MSc Advanced Professional Studies, Leadership & Organizational Development, University of Dundee
- 2005: S.Q.A Higher Unit: Certificate in Child Protection, Dundee City Council
- 1995: B.A. Module, Evaluation Approaches, Level 3, Northern College of Education, Dundee
- 1989-1991: Diploma in Community Education
- 1981-1983: SCOTEC Diploma in Art and Graphic Design, Dundee College of Commerce
Pete has been teaching, lecturing and tutoring within the Community Education undergraduate, postgraduate and work based programmes since 2010 and has been Programme Director for the BA Professional Development degree programme since 2015.
He provides pastoral and academic support to a significant number of full time, part time and distanced learning students. His main areas of teaching are focused within the following themes and topics:
- Community education
- Active citizenship and community engagement and participation
- Youth Work and informal education
- Developing sustainable organisations
- Interprofessional and interagency learning
- Value led leadership and management
- Critically reflective practice
- Community arts and creativity for education