Education, School of Education and Social Work
+44 (0)1382 381531
Old Medical School
Neil Taylor is Associate Dean (Quality and Academic Standards) and Senior Lecturer in science and related STEM subjects. Neil has taught on the B. Ed, MA (Educ.),PGDE (P), PGDE (S), PGCE with SIR and TQFE programmes. As a result of these experiences Neil has developed an interest in effective transitions as learners move from one learning experience to another and the effective use of
blended and online learning.
Before joining the education team at the University of Dundee Neil was
Principal teacher of Physics and taught Physics and science in several schools
in Fife Council. Neil was also seconded at local and national level to support
the development and implementation of 5-14 science.
Neil supports teachers' CPD in collaboration with Dundee Science Centre and
in the past has supported teachers' CPD in science education with organisations
such as the Association for Science Education and the Institute of Physics.
Degrees & qualifications
- University of Abertay: BSc Physics and Chemistry
- Dundee College of Education: PGCE(S), Physics and Chemistry
- University of Dundee: Dip. Ed
- University of Dundee: Advanced Dip. Ed
- Science education
- Effective transitions: from primary to secondary and from secondary to HE
- The effective use of ICT
- Effective teaching and learning
- using Web 2.0 tools to support transitions and develop skills for employment
- 2019-2020 Education Scotland Enhancing Professional Learning in STEM: Funds of Kowledge
- 2018-2020 Erasmus - (KA2 – Cooperation and Innovation for Good Practices) eLene4Life
- 2017-2020 Co-Investigator. Successful to develop new route into Secondary STEM teaching
In partnership with the University of Highlands and Islands successfully tendered to pilot a new pathway to Initial Teacher Education. This is aimed at increasing recruitment in STEM subjects across four rural Local Authorities.
- 2017-2018 Principal Investigator. Successful bid Primary Science Masters Level Summer School
Submitted to Scottish Government a bid to deliver a 1 week primary science summer school at Masters Level to a maximum of 40 primary teachers.
- 2016-2017 Principal Investigator to increase recruitment to Secondary STEM subjects
Submitted to Scottish Government a bid to support a pilot project into increasing recruitment to Secondary STEM subjects.
- 2016-2017 Successful bid Primary Science Masters Level Summer School
Submitted to Scottish Government a bid to deliver a 1 week primary science summer school to a maximum of 40 primary teachers
- 2016-2018 Co-Investigator for SMART. Erasmus plus application.
KA2 – Cooperation and Innovation for Good Practices.
2015-2019 Co-Investigator of the Evaluation of Dundee City Council’s ‘Raising Attainment’ programme.
2015-2016 Co-Investigator: Further Enhancing Masters provision in Education
- 2015-2018 Principal Investigator for Elene4Work. Erasmus plus application. KA2 – Cooperation and Innovation for Good Practices.
- 2014-2018 Co-Investigator of the Evaluation of Dundee City Council’s ‘ASPIRE’ project
- 2012-2013: Along with T. Moran, Evaluation Fife Council's music initiative
- entitled, 'Ukulele in the Primary Classroom'.
- 2011-2013: Co- investigator (UoD) and Work Package Leader for work package 7: Social Networking: eLene2learn, EU Lifelong Learning Programme.
- 2004-2005: Along with A. Thurston, Scottish Government funded evaluation of the "Effects of Small Grants Scheme on Pupils' Attitudes Towards Science and Transition from Primary to Secondary School".
- PGCE with Supported Induction Route
- PGDE (Secondary) Science and Physics
- PGDE (Primary) Science and Technologies
- MA (Education) Science, Technologies
- MA Thesis supervision
B. Ed (Primary) Science, Technologies, Thinking Skills