James Maclaren (1829-1893) was one of the leading architects of Victorian Dundee.
His work includes such well-known buildings as:
This exhibition has been curated to mark the donation to the School of Architecture of Maclaren's Soane Medallion (one of the most prestigious prizes of its day) by his great great grand-daughter.
Born in Dundee, Maclaren's work as an apprentice to David Smith earned him a position with David Bryce's office in Edinburgh. At the age of 19 he won the Soane Medallion, which earned him the status to set up his own practice in Dundee. He soon won influential patrons such as the Cox family, and became architect to the Panmure Estates, which included Barnhill, Monifieth and Carnoustie.
Maclaren's two sons and nephew all followed him into the business, and after his death his practice was continued, first by his sons and then by other partners, until 1972.
Find about more about Maclaren on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects website.
See a previous exhibition of Dundee buildings and environments.