The Art of Reading
An exhibition of art about, inspired by and in the form of books
Tower Foyer Gallery, Tower Building, University of Dundee
30 March – 29 June 2019
Mon-Fri 09.30-19.00 Sat 13.00-17.00
This exhibition looks at some of the ways that artists are inspired by or make use of books.
- Sketchbooks are often the starting point for any artistic idea
- Artists sometimes create visual adaptations of scenes in books that inspire them
- Many books – particularly ones for children – feature illustrations by artists
- Artists might use books as visual props for the subjects in their paintings
- Some artists aim to critique the form of books
- Last but not least, many artists make their own books
All of the works on display are drawn from the University’s extensive Museum Collections. Artists include Sam Ainsley, Louise Hopkins, Ian Hamilton Finlay, R B Kitaj, Joseph Lee, Richard Long, Moira Macgregor, Bruce McLean, Gillian Melville, Noel Paton, Tom Phillips, Arthur Rackham and Barbara Robertson.