An exhibition of art and artefacts, highlighting some of the University of Dundee’s most generous benefactors
3 November 2012 – 12 January 2013
(Closed for Christmas 23 December – 3 January)
Tower Foyer Gallery, University of Dundee
Mon-Fri 09.30-20.30 and Sat 09.30-16.30
This exhibition highlights some of the many benefactors who have made notable contributions to the development of the University of Dundee and its various affiliated institutions, including Duncan of Jordanstone College, the Dental Hospital & School and Dundee Royal Infirmary.
A small selection of the key personalities shown in the exhibition are pictured here. Come along to find out more!
Top row (left to right):
1. James Soutar Esq of Thornbank (1762-1841) - donated funds to Dundee Royal Infirmary. 2. Miss Margaret Harris (1815-1894) - endowed the Chair of Physics. 3. Lieutenant-Colonel S J L Hardie (1885-1969) - gave the land on which Belmont Hall was constructed.
Bottom row (left to right):
1. Sir William Ogilvy Dalgleish (1832-1913) - gave generous gifts to Dundee Royal Infirmary, the Technical Institute, University College and the Medical School building. 2. Dr Pat McPherson (1917-2008) - raised millions for cancer research in Dundee. 3. Miss Mary Ann Baxter (1801–1884) - principal founder of University College, Dundee.