Business Archives and Records
In the Business Archives and Records module we shall study the history of business and the development of business records, exploring the different types of records found in business archive collections and the key legislation affecting them. You will gain an understanding of the variety of repositories in which business archives are held and the role of the business archivist (whether working as an in-house corporate archivist or for another repository).
The module includes sections on appraisal, records management, research uses and the access issues which apply to business archives. Topics are discussed within the context of current developments for the business archives sector in the UK and abroad. Business records have the potential to be both a business and cultural asset providing crucial commentary on a nation’s economic, political and social development. This module will equip you to understand, manage and advocate for such collections under your care.
- Introduction to business archives and the role of the business archivist
- History of business, the records produced by business and their different types including financial records
- Archival appraisal of business records, the role of records management in a corporate environment
- Providing access to a business archive collection and how the various types of business archive can be of use to different types of researcher
- The current issues which affect business archives in the UK and the wider overseas context
Number of credits
20 SCQF credits (10 ECTS credits) on Level 5, SHE M (SCQF 11)