Humanitarian Intervention module (PO42018)
On this page
Module aims to:
- examine the political, legal and philosophical foundations of humanitarian intervention
- understand the relationship between evolving notions of sovereignty and humanitarian intervention
- explore the range of responses available to mass atrocities
- assess how humanitarian interventions are undertaken in practice
- analyse why humanitarian intervention is undertaken in some situations but not others
Content of the module includes:
- Legality of humanitarian intervention
- Ethics of humanitarian intervention
- Related responses to mass atrocities
- Who should intervene?
- Case studies, potentially including Rwanda, Kosovo, Darfur, Syria
The assessment for this module is comprised of an essay (50% of the final module mark), critical case review (40%), and class participation (10%).