Introduction to Practical Filmmaking - Filming Dialogue
Upon completion of the module, the successful student will be have gained:
- The ability to produce, direct, light, shoot and edit a dialogue-driven scene.
- An appreciation, and practical experience of, the art of film direction, including camera placement and working with actors.
- Experience working with screenplays, including doing breakdowns, creating storyboards, and rewriting dialogue.
- A practical understanding and experience of the basic techniques of cinematography and film editing.
- A deeper understanding of the aesthetics and grammar of film.
Coursework makes up 100% of the assessment:
- Finished Scene (70%)
- Research essay (30%)
Intended learning outcomes
The intended learning outcomes are as follows:
- Knowledge and understanding.
- to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of film production
- to understand and apply specific film language, concepts and terminology
- to demonstrate an ability to apply practical skills by filming a short scene
- to respond to constructive feedback about their practical work both formally and informally from tutors and peers
- to exchange views about film practice with others in a constructive and open-minded context and to work co-operatively with other students
- to express their own opinions and defend their own critical judgments and practical work by drawing on key themes and debates in Film Studies
- acquire a range of transferable skills, graduate attributes and personal qualities, which will enhance their confidence and independence both during and after their studies
- develop an independent, organised approach to learning, and thereby practise time management skills through working to deadlines
- Subject-specific practical and intellectual skills and attributes.
- Transferable, employability and enterprise skills and attributes.
Dr Brian Hoyle
H65n the Studio
Week 7: Workshop 3: Lighting a Scene on Location + Training Session 2: Adobe Premier Editing Software
Week 9: Breaking Down a Script + Workshop 4: Working with Actors
Week 11: Basic Design + Workshop 5: Storyboarding and Pre-Production