Laboratory and Research Skills 1C
On this page
This module will extend and develop laboratory and research skills introduced in semester 1 of Level 1
- Optical techniques – Students will use a spectrophotometer to produce a standard absorbance spectrum, apply the Beer -Lambert Law to derive unknown concentrations from known values of absorbance and perform a Bradford Assay
- Protein purification – Students will experience two techniques that are commonly used to separate mixtures of proteins: size exclusion chromatography (SEC) and SDS polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS PAGE)
- PCR - In conjunction with its associated workshop, this laboratory exercise aims to give students a basic understanding of the practical application of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and the use of agarose gel electrophoresis for the analysis of DNA samples.
- Enzyme kinetics – Students will gain practical experience of a typical enzyme assay procedure.
- Digital skills – online scientific literature searches
- Protein expression – Students will learn how to purify and analyse a recombinant protein.