Dr Wang gained his multi-disciplinary training with a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from Southeast University, China, a Postgraduate Diploma in Computational Mechanics from Dalian University of Technology and Science, China, a PhD in Biomechanics and Anatomy from Liverpool University, UK, and a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education from Dundee University, United Kingdom. Dr Wang joined Dundee University as lecturer in orthopaedics and honorary clinical scientist in 2004, and became senior lecturer in 2010. Before coming to Dundee, he worked as pre-PhD research assistant, teaching assistant and post-doctoral research associate in Liverpool University from 1995 to 2004, and as biomedical engineer of Orthopaedic Research and Locomotor Assessment Unit (ORLAU) in Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry, UK in 1999. Before coming to UK, he was a lecturer in sports biomechanics and statistics in Nanjing Normal University from 1988 to 1995, a design engineer in mechanical/electronic engineering in Beijing Electric Tube Company, Beijing, China from 1982 to 1986, and a worker in Nanjing TV Tube Factory, Nanjing, China from 1975 to 1978.
As a Senior Lecturer in Orthopaedics and an Honorary Clinical Scientist, Weijie’s main interest is in the application of biomechanics in a clinical environment, particularly in gait analysis, foot structure analysis and computer simulation. He is currently developing various models for clinical applications. His research interests cover a wide area of applied fields such as rehabilitation, sports science, ergonomics, anatomy and human evolution.
Current research directions and projects include:
- Construction of musculoskeletal models for foot, lower extremities and whole body, calculation of muscle parameters (e.g. force, work, power etc) by inverse/forward dynamics
- Analysis of wheelchair biomechanics
- Gait analysis of patients, e.g. cerebral palsy, hip surgeries etc.
- Analysis of muscle activities in various movements
- The optimal analysis of neuro-control-muscle-skeleton model for human movement
- Gene therapy for healing of bone fracture
- Brain neuro activities and movements
- Meta-analysis of surgical outcomes
- Design and analysis of rehabilitation device
- Biomechanics and physiotherapy
Lectures and conferences
Humeral Head replacement does it work? A kinematic study of shoulder motion following copeland shoulder resurfacing arthroplasty
International Society of Biomechanics Conference, Glasgow. (2015), Jariwala AC, Hyndman I, Johnston LR, Wang W, Arnold GP, Wigderowitz CA, Abboud RJ.
Gait according to your blood vessels
12th Staffordshire International Conference on Clinical Biomechanics, Stoke-on-Trent, UK. (2014), Johnstone AJ, Arnold GP, Griffiths G, Nagy J, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
Dundee Netball: Could the surface be blamed?
12th Staffordshire International Conference on Clinical Biomechanics, Stoke-on-Trent, UK. (2014), Corner J, Arnold GP, Wang W, Gibbs I, Abboud RJ.
A motion simulation and biomechanical analysis of the shoulder joint using a whole human model
The 4th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics (2011), Vol.4:2290-2294 Sen S, Abboud RJ, Ming D, Wan B, Liao Y, Gong Q, Wang W.
Selection of major parameters for patients with cerebral palsy and healthy adults in gait analysis using principal component analysis
6th World Congress of Biomechanics (2010), Khan F, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
The effect of upper body mechanics on the golf swing.
8th Staffordshire International Conference on Clinical Biomechanics, Stoke-on-Trent, UK (2010), Mehdian R, Arnold GP, Nasir S, Gibbs S, Wang W, RJ Abboud.
MBT shoes: effect on gait, posture and pressure distribution
8th Staffordshire International Conference on Clinical Biomechanics, Stoke-on-Trent, UK (2010), Buchan S, Arnold GP, Nasir S, Matzler M, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
A clinically specific model for analysing multi-joint kinematics in the foot and its validation
6th World Congress of Biomechanics (2010), Sharafeldin K, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
A model to calculate the joint movements and forces in the foot.
IEEE 2009 9th International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments (2009), Vol.4:532-536 Yalamanchili S, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
Selection of optimization methods for estimating muscle parameters during walking
Keynote Lecture, EEE 2009 9th International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments (2009), 523-526 Wang W.
Joint powers in the lower limbs for patients with cerebral palsy before and after botulinum toxin injection
European Society for Movement analysis in children (ESMAC) (2009), Kapoor S, Gibbs S, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
Comparison of knee flexion parameters between pre- and post-botulinum toxin injections into rectus femoris in Cerebral Palsy
7th Clinical Biomechanics (2009), Ijaz A, Gibbs S, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
Comparison of the kinetic data from two different Vicon® systems: MX-13 and MX-F40
7th Clinical Biomechanics (2009), Morrison RJM, Gibbs S, Abboud RJ, Wang W, Arnold GP.
Assessment and comparison of shoulder movements using the Fastrak® and Vicon® systems
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Ahmad S, Arnold GP, Cochrane L, Wang W, Abboud RJ, Gibbs S.
Kinematic and kinetic analysis of the ankle, tarsometatarsal and metatarsophalangeal joints during various modes of gait in normal adults
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Uttarwar S, Wang W, Gibbs S, Abboud RJ.
Biomechanics and the diabetic foot: a novel approach to measurement
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Rajput B, Gibbs S, Arnold GP, Wang W, Cochrane L, Leese G, Abboud RJ.
Pot bellies and motion analysis: development and validation of a novel lower limb model for use in centrally obese patients
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Rajput B, Wang W, Gibbs S, Cochrane L, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
Integrating pressure distribution measurements and gait analysis
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Rajput B, Wang W, Gibbs S, Cochrane L, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
Mechanical characteristics of lower limbs during walking for children with Cerebral Palsy
World Congress of Biomechanics (2006), Manivelavan S, Wang W, Gibbs S, Cochrane L, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
Assessment and comparison of shoulder movements using the Fastrak® and Vicon® systems
European Society for Movement Analysis in Children (ESMAC) (2006), Ahmad S, Arnold GP, Cochrane L, Wang W, Abboud RJ, Gibbs S.
Spare tyre? Development and validation of a novel lower limb model for use in centrally obese patients
European Society for Movement Analysis in Children (2006), Rajput B, Wang W, Gibbs S, Cochrane L, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
Comparison of the kinetic data from two different Vicon® systems
Clinical Biomechanics (2004), Morrison RJM, Gibbs S, Abboud RJ, Wang W, Arnold GP.
Suddhajit Sen, Rami Abboud, Dong Ming, Baikun Wan, Yi Liao, Qiyong Gong, Weijie Wang, (2011). A motion simulation and biomechanical analysis of the shoulder joint using a whole human model. The 4th International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics, vol 4, 2290-2294, October 2011, Shanghai, China.
Sharafeldin K, Abboud R, Wang W. (2010). A Clinically Specific Model for Analysing Multi?joint Kinematics in the Foot and its Validation, 6th World Congress of Biomechanics, Singapore, August, 2010.
Khan F, Abboud R, Wang W. (2010). Selection of Major Parameters for Patients with Cerebral Palsy and Healthy Adults in Gait Analysis using Principal Component Analysis, 6th World Congress of Biomechanics, Singapore, August, 2010.
Yalamanchili S, Rami Abboud RJ, Wang W (2009). A model to calculate the joint movements and forces in the foot. IEEE 2009 9th International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, vol 4, 532-536, August 2009, Beijing, China.
Wang W (2009) Selection of optimization methods for estimating muscle parameters during walking. Keynote lecture, IEEE 2009 9th International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, vol 4, 523-526, August 2009, Beijing, China.
- Director and developer of MSc in Motion Analysis by distance/in-house learning.
- Director of Clinical Statistics by distance/in-house learning course.
- Develop and deliver lecture courses to postgraduate and undergraduate students.
- Teach on Motion Analysis by distance/in-house learning (MSc) course.
- Teach on Master of Orthopaedic Surgery (MCh) course.
- Teach on Applied Orthopaedic Technology (BMSc) course.
- Teach on Clinical Audit and Research (PGCert) course.
- Teach on Clinical Statistics (CPD) course
- Devise PhD, MSc, MCh Orth and undergraduate research projects.
- Supervise PhD, MSc, MCh Orth and undergraduate students.
- Provide statistical support and expertise to staff and students within the dept.
- Develop computer models and application software.
• Veera Venkata Satyanarayana Eethakota, Vinod Vaishnav, Linda Johnston, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang. (2018) Comparison of revision risks and complication rates between total hip replacement and hip resurfacing within the similar age groups. The Surgeon, Journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland. Accepted in May 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2018.05 (SCI IF 2.558)
• Erin Frizzell, Graham Arnold, Weijie Wang, Rami Abboud, Tim Drew. (2018). A comparison of branded rugby headguards on their effectiveness in reducing impact on the head. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine. Accepted in May 2018.
• S Miller, A Agarwal, WB Haddon, L Johnston, G Arnold, W Wang, RJ Abboud. (2018) Comparison of gait kinetics in total and unicondylar knee replacement surgery. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 100, 267-274.
https://doi.org/10.1308/rcsann.2017.0226 (SCI IF 1.332).
• Fernando Bueno Neves, Graham P. Arnold, Sadiq Nasir, Weijie Wang, Calum MacDonald, Ian Christie, Rami J. Abboud. (2018) Establishing state of motion through two-dimensional foot and shoe print analysis: A pilot study. Forensic Science International 284, 176–183. (SCI IF 1.989).
• Antonio Dello Iacono, Moshe Ayalon, Weijie Wang (2018). The influence of single-leg landing direction on lower limbs biomechanics. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness.
DOI: 10.23736/S0022-4707.18.08358-5. (SCI IF 1.215)
• A. Faulkner, M.J. Reidy, P.S.E. Davies, W. Wang, N. Buddhadev, L. Johnston, B. Clift (2018) Balancing training and outcomes in total knee replacement: A ten-year review. The Surgeon, Journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland, 16, 227-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2017.10.003. (SCI IF 2.558)
• Mayne, A. I. W., Harshavardhan, H. P., Johnston, L. R., Wang, W., Jariwala, A. (2017) Cruciate Retaining compared with Posterior Stabilised Nexgen total knee arthroplasty: results at 10 years in a matched cohort. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 99, 602-606,
DOIs: 10.1308/rcsann.2017.0086. (SCI IF 1.332)
• Hou, D., Wang, C., Chen, Y., Wang, W., Du, J. (2017) Long-range temporal correlations of broadband EEG oscillations for depressed subjects following different hemispheric cerebral infarction. Cognitive Neurodynamics, 11, 529-538.
DOIs: 10.1007/s11571-017-9451-3. (SCI IF 1.82)
• Iona Robertson, Graham P Arnold, Weijie Wang, Tim S Drew, Sadiq Nasir, Calum MacDonald, Rami J Abboud (2017) A pilot biomechanical assessment of curling deliveries: is toe sliding more likely to cause knee injury than flatfoot sliding? BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med 2017;3:e000221. Accepted 26 May 2017.
• James A Bentley, Shobhan Thakore, William Morrison and Weijie Wang (2017) Emergency Department redirection to primary care: a prospective evaluation of practice. Scottish medical journal, Feb online.
https://doi.org/10.1177/0036933017691675 (SCI IF 0.542)
• E.V. Chalmers, G.T. McIntyre, W. Wang, T. Gillgrass, C.B. Martin, P.A. Mossey (2016) Intraoral 3D Scanning or Dental Impressions for the Assessment of Dental Arch Relationships in Cleft Care: Which is Superior? The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 53(5):568-577.
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1597/15-036. (SCI IF 1.133)
• James Bentley, Susan Henderson, Shobhan Thakore, Michael Donald, Weijie Wang (2016) Seeking Sepsis in the Emergency Department- Identifying Barriers to Delivery of the Sepsis 6. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports 2016; u206760.w3983,
• Catherine B. Martin, Xinhui Ma, Grant T. McIntyre, Weijie Wang, Ping Lin, Elinor V. Chalmers and Peter A. Mossey (2016) The validity and reliability of an automated method of scoring dental arch relationships in unilateral cleft lip and palate using the modified Huddart–Bodenham scoring system. European Journal of Orthodontics, 2016, 1–6.
doi:10.1093/ejo/cjw031. [SCI IF 1.44]
• Badri R Mohandhas, Navnit Makaram, Tim S Drew, Weijie Wang, Graham P Arnold and Rami J Abboud (2016) Racquet String Tension Directly Affects Force Experienced at the Elbow: Implications for the Development of Lateral Epicondylitis in Tennis Players. Shoulder and Elbow, 8, 184-191.
• Jan Muhammad, Sheila Gibbs, Rami Abbound, Weijie Wang, (2016) Gait pattern recognition in cerebral palsy patients using neural network modelling. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad-Pakistan. e Jan 2016, 27(4), 754-758.
• Shahoub Sherif, Syed Hasan, Graham Arnold, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang, (2016) Analysis of hand pressure in different crutch lengths and upper-limb movements during crutched walking. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 53C, 59-66.
• Ghaffar, M., Raza, S., Arnold, G., Abboud, R., Weijie Wang (2015) A Lower Limb Biomechanical Model Without Using Wand-Markers for Motion Analysis During Walking and Running. Nanotechnology and Precision Engineering, 5, 383-390.
• R.D. McHenry, Graham Arnold, Weijie Wang, Rami Abboud (2015). Footwear in rock climbing: Current practice. The Foot, 25, 152-158.
• Mansoor Jafri, Stuart Brown, Graham Arnold, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang (2015). Kinematical analysis of the trunk, upper limbs and fingers during minimal access surgery when using an armrest. Ergonomics, 58(11) 1866-1877.
• Chetan Kabra, Raghvendra Jaiswal, Graham Arnold, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang, (2015) Analysis of hand pressures related to wheelchair rim sizes and upper-limb movement. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 47, 45-52.
• Charudatta V. Shinde, Weijie Wang, Rami J Abboud, Lynda Cochrane (2014) Analysis of Foot Pressure Variation with Change in Stride Length. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences.Vol 13, Issue 10 Ver. IV, PP 46-51.
• Weijie Wang, Rami Abboud, Michal Gunther, Robin Crompton (2014) Analysis of joint force and torque for the human and non-human ape foot during bipedal walking with implications for the evolution of the foot. Journal of Anatomy, 225, 152-166.
• Graeme Nicol, Graham P. Arnold, Weijie Wang, Rami J. Abboud (2014) Dynamic pressure effect on horse and horse rider during riding. Sports Engineering, 17, 143-150.
• Ali K Thabet, Emanuele Trucco, Joaquim Salvi, Weijie Wang, Rami J Abboud (2014) Dynamic 3D shape of the plantar surface of the foot using coded structured light: a technical report. Journal of Ankle and Foot Research, 7:5.
• Al Rashoud, A. S., Abboud, R. J., Wang, W., Wigderowitz, C. (2014) Efficacy of low-level laser therapy applied at acupuncture points in knee osteoarthritis: a randomised double-blind comparative trial. Physiotherapy, 100, 242-248.
• Mansoor Jafri, Stuart Brown, Graham Arnold, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang (2013). Energy consumption during simulated minimal access surgery with and without using an armrest. Surgical Endoscopy, 27: 971-977.
• L.Z. Yapp, G.P. Arnold, S. Nasir, Weijie Wang, J.G.B. Maclean, R.J. Abboud (2012) Assessment of talipes equinovarus treated by Ponseti technique: Three-year preliminary report. The Foot, 22, 90-94.
• A.K. Ramanathan, E.J. Parish, G.P. Arnold, T.S. Drew, W. Wang, R.J. Abboud (2011) The influence of shoe sole’s varying thickness on lower limb muscle activity. Foot and Ankle Surgery, 17, 218-223.
• Krishna Reddy, Linda Johnston, Weijie Wang, Rami Abboud. (2011) Does the oxford knee score complement, concur or contradict the American knee society score? Journal of Arthroplasty, 26, 714-720.
• J.A. Bentley, A.K. Ramanathan, G.P. Arnold, W. Wang, R.J. Abboud. (2011) Harmful cleats of football boots: A biomechanical evaluation. Foot and Ankle Surgery, 17, 140-144.
• A.K. Ramanathan, D.T. Wallace, G.P. Arnold, T.S. Drew, W. Wang, R.J. Abboud. (2011) The effect of varying footwear configurations on the peroneus longus muscle function following inversion. The Foot, 21, 31-36.
• Y. Kolwadkar, S. Brown, R. Abboud, Weijie Wang. (2011) Comparison of two actuation systems for laparoscopic surgical manipulators using motion analysis. Surgical Endoscopy, 25, 964–974.
• Syam Prabhakaran Nair, Sheila Gibbs, Graham Arnold, Rami Abboud, Weijie Wang (2010). A method to calculate the centre of the ankle joint: A comparison with the Vicon® Plug-in-Gait model. Clinical Biomechanics, 25, 582-587.
• K. Ramanathan, P. Kiran, G. P. Arnold, Weijie Wang, R. J. Abboud (2010). Repeatability of the Pedar-X In-Shoe Pressure System. Foot and Ankle Surgery, 16, 70-73.
• Wang, W.., Ming D., Wan B. (2008) Method for assessing the similarity and distance between curves/trials and its applications in gait analysis. Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, 29, 2017-2023.
• Wang, W. (2007) Estimate of the lower-limb-specific muscle parameters during bipedal walking for humans, apes and early hominids with the implications of body evolution. Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, 28, 1358-1366.
• Sellers WI, Gain MM, Wang W., Crompton RH (2005). Stride length, speed and energy costs in walking of Australopithecus afarensis: using evolutionary robotics to predict the locomotion of early human ancestors. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 2, 431-441.
• Wang W., Crompton RH (2004). Analysis of the proportions of the human and ape foot during standing with implication for the evolution of the foot. Journal of Biomechanics, 37, 1831-1836.
• Wang W., Crompton RH, Carey TS, Li Y, Gunther MM, Savage R, Sellers WI (2004). Comparison of inverse-dynamics musculoskeletal models of AL 288-1 Australopithecus afarensis and KNM-WT 15000 Homo ergaster to modern humans, with implications for the evolution of bipedalism. Journal of Human Evolution, 47, 453-478.
• Wang W., Crompton RH (2004). The role of load-carrying in the evolution of modern body proportions. Journal of Anatomy 204, 417-430.
• Thorpe SKS, Crompton RH, Wang W. (2004). Stresses Exerted in the Hindlimb Muscles of Common Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) during Bipedal Locomotion. Folia Primatologica, 75: 253-265.
• Sellers WI, Dennis LA, Wang W., Crompton RH (2004). Evaluating alternative gait strategies using evolutionary robotics. Journal of Anatomy 204, 343-351.
• Wang W., Crompton RH (2003). Size and power required for motion with implication for the evolution of early hominids. Journal of Biomechanics 36, 1237-1246.
• Wang W., Crompton RH, Li Y, Gunther MM (2003). Energy transformation during erect and ‘bent-hip, bent-knee’ walking by humans with implications for the evolution of bipedalism. Journal of Human Evolution 44, 563-579. Reviewed by New Scientist Vol. 178, pp. 24 on 31 May 2003.
• Wang W., Crompton RH, Li Y, Gunther MM (2003). Optimal ratio of the upper and lower limbs in hand-carrying under the assumption of frequency coordination. Journal of Biomechanics 36, 249-252.
• Crompton RH, Thorpe S, Wang W., Li Y, Payne R, Savage R, Carey T, Aerts P, Van Elsacker L, Hofstetter A, Gunther M, Richardson J (2003). The biomechanical evolution of erect bipedality. Courier Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg 243, 135-146.
• Li Y, Crompton RH, Gunther MM, Wang W., Savage R (2002). Reconstructing the mechanics of quadrupedalism in an extinct hominoid. Zeitschrift fứr Morphologie und Anthropologie, 83, 265-274.
• Ohman JC, Wood C, Wood B, Crompton RH, Gunther MM, Li Y, Savage R, Wang W. (2002). Stature-at-death of KNM-WT 15000. Human Evolution 17, 129-142.
• Li Y, Wang W., Crompton RH, Gunther MM (2001). Free vertical moments and transverse forces in human walking and their role in relation to arm-swing. Journal of Experimental Biology 204, 47-58.
• Crompton RH, Li Y, Wang W., Gunther MM, Savage R (1998). The mechanical effectiveness of erect and “bent-knee, bent-hip” bipedal walking in Australopithecus Afarensis. Journal of Human Evolution 35, 55-74. Reviewed by Nature (1998, 23 July) Vol. 394, pp. 325.
• Crompton RH, Li Y, Alexander RMcN, Wang W., Gunther MM (1996). Segment inertial properties of primate: new techniques for laboratory and field studies of locomotion. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 99, 547-570.
• Li Y, Crompton RH, Alexander RMcN, Gunther MM, Wang W. (1996). Characteristics of ground reaction forces in normal and chimpanzee-like bipedal walking by human. Folia Primatologica 66, 137-159.