Stephen Greene (Born: 1st October 1950: Nationality: British) qualified from University College Hospital Medical School, London and then pursued a career in Paediatrics and Child Health with positions in London (The Middlesex and University College Hospital), Oxford (John Radcliffe Hospital), London (Great Ormond Street), Zurich (The Kinderspital Hospital) and London (Guy’s Hospital), specialising in Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes.
- 1981-83 Novo Nordisk Clinical Research Fellow, Paediatric Diabetes, University of Oxford, UK
- 1984 Smith and Nephew Travelling Fellowship, Kinderspital, Zurich, Switzerland
- 1985-87 Wellcome Clinical Lecturer in Diabetes, Guys Hospital, London, UK
In 1987, he was appointed as Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist for Tayside, Scotland. In 1998 he moved to a University of Dundee position, becoming Reader and then, in 2010, Professor in Child & Adolescent Health. He continues as Paediatric Endocrinologist & Diabetologist, NHS Tayside, Scotland.
Other relevant positions:
- 1990-2000: Member of Scientific Committee and Board, Diabetes UK
- 1995-2005: Secretary, Scottish Study Group for the Care of Diabetes (SSGCYD)
- 2000-2005: Secretary, Academic Board, Royal College Paediatrics and Child Health, UK
- 2001-2004: Chairman, Guideline Committee, Type 1 Diabetes in Children, National Institute for Clinical Effectiveness (NICE), UK
- 2005-2010: International Fellow, Royal College Paediatrics and Child Health, UK
- 2009-2011: Chairman SSGCYD
- 2011: current Paediatric Representative to the Scottish Diabetes Group of the Scottish Parliament
- Member several Advisory Boards to Diabetes Pharmaceutical companies
- 2009 – on-going: Director Tayside Scottish Medicines for Children Research Network.
International Society for Paediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD):
He has had a major role ISPAD for the last 20 years:
Previous ISPAD roles:
- 1990-1994 Editor: "Diabetes in the Young"
- 1992 Convener: Annual Meeting, St Andrews, Scotland, UK
- 2004 Chairman and Host: Science School, St Andrews, Scotland, UK
- 2010 Organiser: "Diabetes in Practice" Postgraduate Course Nairobi, Kenya
- 2011 Organiser: "Diabetes in Practice" Postgraduate Course, Lagos, Nigeria
In 2011, he was elected as President of ISPAD (20012-2014)
He has a specific interest in diabetes in the young, with particular interest in diabetes technology and the effect on blood glucose variability (insulin pumps; blood glucose monitoring; e-Health support) and the emotional and cultural impact on health and chronic illness of the young.
Main research and development programmes:
INDIGO (Intensive Diabetes Intervention and Glycaemic Outcome)
- Diabetes Technology (insulin pumps and glucose sensors) and the impact on blood glucose variability and early markers of vascular disease and genetic transcription.
- Glugocentric education programmes in newly diagnosed children with diabetes
Communication and Support of Young People with Type 1 Diabetes:
- mobile Health initiatives - “Sweet Text”, “Digital Diabetes Community”,
- VIG-Diabetes ( Video Interaction Guidance)
Post Graduate Education programmes for Diabetes, with academic accreditation (e.g. ISPAD Diploma in Child and Adolescent Diabetes)
Lectures and conferences
- 2011: Aspects of diabetes in the Young: British Society Paediatric Endocrinology, London
- 2010: Pumps in the young: Insulin Pump Association, Manchester
- 2008 “Outcome of diabetes” British Society Paediatric Endocrinology, Swansea
- 2007 “Insulin pump Therapy Royal College Paediatrics and Child Health Spring Meeting, York
University of Dundee Teaching:
- Phase 2 System Convenor
- Examiner in Child Health: OSCE examination; 5th Year Portfolio
- SSC: Convenor Phase 2 Child Health Programme;
- “Growth and Development Course” in Phase 2. 1996 – on-going
- Participation Phase 3 SSC Programme
- Lectures in Phase 2 Systems Learning: ‘Diabetes’; ‘Adrenal and Thyroid problems in Children’
- IT learning packages: directed a computer based internal examination for 4th Year Paediatrics.
Initiation and supervision of creation of Dundee “Medblog” – Dundee Junior
These ideas were translated in to a book: “Core Paediatrics”: Haddad, Greene and Olver.
I was appointed as an external examiner in Paediatrics and Child Health to:
- University of Bristol 1990-1994
- Oxford 2002 –2008
- Glasgow (MSc Paediatrics – 2009-2012)
Post Graduate (NHS Tayside and Scotland)
In my capacity as Speciality Adviser and Chairman of the Paediatric Subcommittee of the Eastern Region Postgraduate Medical Education Committee, I developed a special interest and responsibility for Postgraduate Training in Paediatrics. In my NHS position in Paediatrics I was appointed to:
- Associate Postgraduate Dean with responsibility for the training contracts of junior doctors (1991-94).
- Associate Postgraduate Dean, Eastern Region Medical Postgraduate Committee (1994-96).
- Postgraduate examiner for RCPCH/RCPE (Host organiser of the MRCP (Paeds.) nationally (1990-99):
RCPCH/RCPE Malaysia 1999, Singapore 2000, Egypt 2008.
In my position as International Fellow of the Royal College of Paediatrics I organised Post graduate Course for Paediatricians in “Teaching Child Health” in:
- Amman, Jordan – for Iraqi, Palestinian and Jordanian doctors
- Malawi and Tanzania
In 2009- ongoing , on behalf of the RCPCH and the University of Dundee, I organised and led the first PG Education Course in Paediatrics and Child Health for Iraqi Paediatricians at the Hawler Medical School Erbil, Iraq Kurdistan
- 2011 Tarik Elhadd, F Khan, SA Greene and JJF Belch. Endothelial Dysfunction in Young People with Diabetes Mellitus in the Absence of Clinical Vascular Disease. Journal of Clinical Metabolism & Diabetes
- 2011; Cunningham S, McAlpine R, Leese G, Brennan G, Sullivan F, Connacher A, Waller A, Boyle D, Greene S, Wilson E, Emslie-Smith A, Morris A. Using Web Technology to Support Population-Based Diabetes Care. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 2011;5: 523-534
- 2010 W. F. Paterson, S. F. Ahmed, L. Bath, M. D. C. Donaldson, R. Fleming, S. A. Greene, I. Hunter, C. J. H. Kelnar, A. Mayo, J. S. Schulga, D. Shapiro, P. J. Smail and A. M. Wallace. Exaggerated adrenarche in a cohort of Scottish children: clinical features and biochemistry. Clinical Endocrinology (2010) 72, 496–501
- 2009 Robert S Lindsay, Scott M Nelson, James D Walker, Stephen A Greene, Gillian Milne, Naveed Sattar, Donald W Pearson. Programming of Adiposity In Offspring Of Mothers With Type 1 Diabetes At Age 7. Diabetes Care. 2010 33:1080-1085
- Scott Williamson, Stephen A Greene. Incidence of Thyrotoxicosis in Childhood: A national population based study in the UK and Ireland. Clinical Endocrinology (2010) 72, 358–363
- Khan F, Green F, Forsyth JS, Greene SA, Newton DJ, Belch JJF. The beneficial effects of breastfeeding on micro-vascular function in 11-14 year old children. Vascular Medicine 2009; 14: 137-142
Stephen Greene. Diabetes in the young: what are their long term health prospects? Arch Dis Childhood 2009:94: 251-253