Dr Vinnicombe was a Consultant Radiologist at Barts and The London NHS Trust from 1996 till 2011, where she was Lead Breast Radiologist, Director of Breast Screening for Central and East London and Lead Radiologist for Haemato-oncology. She was co-chair of the Early Diagnosis workstream of the pan-London review of Cancer Services, supported by Commissioning for London, in 2010 and led on a LEAN review of breast services at Barts and The London. During her time at Barts and The London, she was College Tutor and Head of the Radiology Training Programme, overseeing 35 trainee radiologists. She has particular expertise in breast MRI, (having developed this service at Barts and trained many radiologists in in this technique up and down the country), all aspects of breast imaging and in cross-sectional imaging of lymphoma, including PET/CT scanning.
She moved to Ninewells Hospital in May 2011 to pursue research in Cancer Imaging. Her research interests include multimodality MRI in breast and prostate cancer, imaging prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiological aspects of breast cancer risk.
In 2013, Dr Vinnicombe was the British Society of Breast Radiology’s Visiting Professor, during which time she visited and taught at 6 Clinical Radiology training schemes in the UK, with excellent feedback.d: 11/03/2014
Major research interests are in various aspects of breast imaging, including: measurement of breast density and correlation with breast cancer risk; the role of breast tomosynthesis in symptomatic and screening practices; breast MRI in l assessment of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. At St. Bartholomew’s Hospital she enrolled the Breast Unit in the pilot NEO-COMICE trial of MRI in response assessment after neoadjuvant chemotherapy, and was PI for the multicentre UK trial of digital breast tomosynthesis (TOMMY), funded through the HTA.
Named, funded project partner in novel phase contrast mammography research (in collaboration with UCL):
· The Wellcome Trust Translational Award for ‘A Novel Mammography System based on XPCi’: Total value £460,735
· Co-investigator, Da Costa Foundation Grant: 4 different methods of evaluating breast density; a case-control study. PI. (St. Bartholomew’s and Royal Marsden Hospitals): Total value $177,000
· Xray diffraction of breast cancers; a feasibility study. Breast Cancer Campaign 2015
· Assessment of breast density and correlation with breast cancer risk (HAMAM project, funded through the EU FP7)
· Thiel cadaveric tissue as a model for high Intensity Focused Ultrasound (Dundee Cancer Centre, 2014)
· The diagnostic value of breast tomosynthesis in symptomatic patients with suspicious clinical findings.
· Multiparametric MRI in detection and characterization of prostate cancer: MULTIPROS (Prostate UK/CSO) – co-investigator
· Modelling of Breast Cancer Initiation and Progression: MIMIC (EPSRC 2013-2015) – co-investigator
· Stromal studies of breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: SPECIALS (Breakthrough Breast Cancer, 2013-2018) – joint PI
Lectures and conferences
RCR ASM, September 2015: a) Management of the MR Indeterminate Breast Lesion. b) MRI in high risk breast cancer screening
UKRC June 2015 (breast programme organiser): An Update on the MRI BI-RADS lexicon and how to report breast MRI
ESOR Multithematic Radiology Course, Mexico April 2015: a) high risk screening b) clinical challenges in breast MRI
UK Inflammatory Breast Cancer Symposium, April 2015: Imaging features of Inflammatory Breast Cancer
ICIS International Teaching Conference, Hong Kong January 2015: a) MRI in breast cancer screening b) Imaging of Response of locally advanced breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy
As already listed plus:
Reproduction System teaching
MSc student teaching and supervision (with IMSaT and Engineering)
Specialty Training Adviser, Radiology, since 2014 (Royal College of Radiologists appointment)
Giannotti E, Waugh S, Priba L, Davis Z, Crowe E, Vinnicombe S. Assessment and quantification of sources of variability in breast apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) measurements at diffusion weighted imaging. Eur J Radiol. 2015 Sep;84(9):1729-36. doi: 10.1016/j.ejrad.2015.05.032. Epub 2015 Jun 1.
Waugh SA, Purdie CA, Jordan LB, Vinnicombe S, Lerski RA, Martin P, Thompson AM. Magnetic resonance imaging texture analysis classification of primary breast cancer. Eur Radiol. 2015 Jun 12. [Epub ahead of print]
Rea D, Francis A, Hanby AM, Speirs V, Rakha E, Shaaban A, Chan S, Vinnicombe S, Ellis IO, Martin SG, Jones LJ, Berditchevski F; UK Inflammatory Breast Cancer Working group. Inflammatory breast cancer: time to standardise diagnosis assessment and management, and for the joining of forces to facilitate effective research. Br J Cancer. 2015 Apr 28;112(9):1613-5. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2015.115. Epub 2015 Mar 31.
Sim YT, Vinnicombe S, Whelehan P, Thomson K, Evans A. Value of shear-wave elastography in the diagnosis of symptomatic invasive lobular breast cancer. Clin Radiol. 2015 Jun;70(6):604-9.
Mullen R, Thompson JM, Moussa O, Vinnicombe S, Evans A. Shear-wave elastography contributes to accurate tumour size estimation when assessing small breast cancers. Clin Radiol. 2014 Dec;69(12):1259-63. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2014.08.002. Epub 2014 Sep 18. PubMed PMID: 25239790.
Eng A, Gallant Z, Shepherd J, McCormack V, Li J, Dowsett M, Vinnicombe S, Allen S, dos-Santos-Silva I. Digital mammographic density and breast cancer risk: a case-control study of six alternative density assessment methods. Breast Cancer Res. 2014 Sep 20;16(5):439. doi: 10.1186/s13058-014-0439-1. PubMed PMID:25239205; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4303120.
Whelehan P, Vinnicombe SJ, Brown DC, McLean D, Evans A. Accuracy of non-operative identification of the sentinel lymph node using combined gamma and ultrasound scanning. Clin Radiol. 2014 Aug;69(8):849-52. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2014.03.021. Epub 2014 Jun 2. PubMed PMID: 24894653.
Vinnicombe SJ, Whelehan P, Thomson K, McLean D, Purdie CA, Jordan LB, Hubbard S, Evans AJ. What are the characteristics of breast cancers misclassified as benign by quantitative ultrasound shear wave elastography? Eur Radiol. 2014 Apr;24(4):921-6. doi: 10.1007/s00330-013-3079-4. Epub 2013 Dec 11. PubMed PMID:24326756.
Elsberger B, Romsauerova A, Vinnicombe S, Whelehan P, Brown DC, Dewar JA, Thompson AM, Evans A. Comparison of mammographic findings after intraoperative radiotherapy or external beam whole breast radiotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014 Feb;40(2):163-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2013.11.011. Epub 2013 Dec 4. PubMed PMID: 24332581.
Evans A, Rauchhaus P, Whelehan P, Thomson K, Purdie CA, Jordan LB, Michie CO, Thompson A, Vinnicombe S. Does shear wave ultrasound independently predict axillary lymph node metastasis in women with invasive breast cancer? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014 Jan;143(1):153-7. doi: 10.1007/s10549-013-2747-z. Epub 2013 Dec 4. PubMed PMID: 24305976.
- Olivo A, Gkoumas S, Endrizzi M, Hagen CK, Szafraniec MB, Diemoz PC, Munro PR, Ignatyev K, Johnson B, Horrocks JA, Vinnicombe SJ, Jones JL, Speller RD. Low-dose phase contrast mammography with conventional x-ray sources. Med Phys. 2013 Sep;40(9):090701. doi: 10.1118/1.4817480. PubMed PMID: 24007133.
- Pinker K, Perry N, Vinnicombe S et al. Conspicuity of breast cancer according to histopathological type and breast density when imaged by full-field digital mammography compared with screen-film mammography. Eur Radiol 2010 Aug 4 (Epub ahead of print)
- McCormack V, Perry N, Vinnicombe S, dos Santos Silva I. Changes and tracking of mammographic density in relation to Pike's model of breast tissue ageing: A UK longitudinal study. Int J Cancer. 2010;127: 452-461
- McCormack VA, Dowsett M, Folkerd E, Johnson N, Palles C, Coupland B, Holly JM, Vinnicombe SJ, Perry NM, dos Santos Silva I. Sex steroids, growth factors and mammographic density: a cross-sectional study of UK postmenopausal Caucasian and Afro-Caribbean women. Breast Cancer Res. 2009;11(3):R38. Epub 2009 Jun 22.
- Olivo A, Rigon L, Vinnicombe SJ, Cheung K C, Ibison M, Speller R. Phase Contrast Imaging of Breast Tumours with Synchrotron Radiation. App Radiat Isot 2009;67: 1033-41
- Vinnicombe SJ, Pinto Pereira S, Perry N, dos Santos Silva I. Full-field Digital versus Screen-film Mammography: a comparison within the UK Breast Screening Program and a systematic review of published data. Radiology, 2009;251:347-58
- McCormack VA, Perry N, Vinnicombe SJ, dos Santos Silva I. Ethnic Variations in Mammographic Density: A British Multiethnic Longitudinal Study. Am J Epidemiol 2008;168: 412-21
- Bhattacharya M, Ryan D, Carpenter R, Vinnicombe S, Gallagher CJ. Using MRI to plan breast-conserving surgery following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for early breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2008; 98: 289-293.
- Montoto S, Davies, AJ, Mathews J, Calamanici M, Norton A, Amess J, Vinnicombe SJ, Waters R, Rohatiner A, Lister TA Risk and clinical implications of transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large B cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007;25: 2426-2433.