I support the planning and development of procedural skills training for senior medical undergraduate students at Ninewells, Perth Royal Infirmary and Stracathro. I also teach years 1 and 2 clinical skills within the Clinical Skills Centre at Ninewells Hospital.
Currently undertaking a Professional Doctorate (D. Ed) on student assessment methods.
Lectures and conferences
- Received “Highly Commended for Excellence in Teaching” Award from the College of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing, University of Dundee. April 11th 2011
- Attended Ian Barra/Angela Roger Workshop Dalhousie Building - "Advanced Techniques using video to record and analyse observations” 4th May 2011
- Workshop Presentation 4th International Clinical Skills Conference Prato Italy 22nd May 2011 - “How should we be teaching and assessing procedural clinical skills?”
- Poster presentation Dundee Medical Education Conference 9th September 2011 - “Evaluating student perceptions of an Acute Care Exercise (ACE)”
- Received Faculty of Medical Education award (FAME) February 2012.
- Poster Presentation for ASME Annual Scientific Meeting 2012, 18th – 20th July, The Brighton Centre, Brighton., Utilising Direct Observed Procedural Skills (DOPS) enhanced by video as a learning tool for the acquisition and maintenance of procedural clinical skills
- Teaching and Assessing Technical Skills Presentation. Association for Simulated Practice in Healthcare Symposium. Ninewells Dundee Friday 27thApril 2012
Supporting the planning and developing skills training for medical undergraduate student’s years 2-5 on clinical attachment at Perth Royal Infirmary and Stracathro clinical skills satellite facilities. Teaching in years 1 and 2 clinical skills sessions at Clinical Skills centre at Ninewells. Teaching of history taking and examination skills and procedural skills, including basic clinical hygiene, risk management and communication skills.
McLeod, R, Mires, G. and Ker, J S., 2011. The use of the Direct Observation of Procedural skills (DOPS) assessment tool in the clinical setting- the perception of students. International Journal of Clinical Skills (IJOCS), 5 (2):102-107.
McLeod, R, 2012. Evaluating the effect of music on patient anxiety during minor plastic surgery. Journal of Perioperative practice 22(1) pp.14-18.
McLeod R. Mires, G. and Ker, J., 2012. Using Direct Observed Procedural Skills (DOPS) assessment in the undergraduate setting. The Clinical Teacher. 2012. (In press).
C, Kellett, K.Stirling, R.McLeod, J.Dent, P.Boscainos., 2009 Development of an undergraduate medical student theatre etiquette course” IJOCS Vol. 3 Issue 2 May .