Trained as a General adult Psychiatrist and works as part of a Community mental health team in rural Perthshire.
Teaching responsibilities as Preparation in Practice convenor have resulted in a lot of experience in aspects of curriculum planning, assessment and student support.
Previous research projects include; the pharmacogenetics of antidepressant response, genetic factors in Bipolar Affective Disorder and medical student attitudes to psychiatry.
- Preparation in Practice Phase convenor of the medical undergraduate curriculum
- Systems in Practice Psychiatry Convenor
- Richard K Day “Dealing with problem students”. In Undergraduate teaching in Psychiatry. Eds J Eagles & T Brown. Royal College of Psychiatrists; London. 2011
- Richard K Day “Phobias” and Brian Lunn & Richard K Day “Psychiatric Emergencies” in Psychiatry by Ten Teachers. Eds N Dogra, B Lunn & S Cooper. Hodder Arnold; London 2011
- Budd, S.; Kelley, R.; Day, R.; Variend, H.; Dogra, N. Student attitudes to psychiatry and their clinical placements Medical Teacher 2011 33 (11) e586-e592
- Laura J. Scott, Pierandrea Muglia, Xiangyang Q. Kong, Weihua Guan, Matthew Flickinger, Ruchi Upmanyu, Federica Tozzi, Jun Z. Li, Margit Burmeister, Devin Absher, Robert C. Thompson, Clyde Francks, Fan Meng, Athos Antoniades, Audrey M. Southwick, Alan F. Schatzberg, William E. Bunney, Jack D. Barchas, Edward G. Jones, Richard Day, Keith Matthews, Peter McGuffin, John S. Strauss, James L. Kennedy, Lefkos Middleton, Allen D. Roses, Stanley J. Watson, John B. Vincent, Richard M. Myers, Ann E. Farmer, Huda Akil, Daniel K. Burns, and Michael Boehnke Genome-wide association and meta-analysis of bipolar disorder in individuals of European ancestry Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2009 106:7501-7506
- Wilkie MJV, Smith G, Day RK, Matthews K, Smith D, Blackwood D, Reid IC, Wolf CR Polymorphisms in the SLC6A4 and HTR2A genes influence treatment outcome following antidepressant The Pharmacogenomics Journal 2009 9:61-70
- Wilkie, Murray J.V.; Smith, Daniel; Reid, Ian C.; Day, Richard K.; Matthews, Keith; Roland Wolf, Charles; Blackwood, Douglas; Smith, Gillian. A splice site polymorphism in the G-protein [beta] subunit influences antidepressant efficacy in depression. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics 2007, 17:207–215
- R.K.Day Psychomotor Agitation - poorly defined and badly measured. Journal of Affective Disorders, 1999, 55:89-98.