Dr. Oualid Abboussi received a Master degree in Bioengineering from Hassan 1st University and a Ph.D. in Neuropharmacology through the Graduate Partnership Program between Hassan 1st Faculty of Sciences and technologies in Morocco and the Group of Memory and Cerebral Plasticity (GMPC) in France on Behavioural and Neurogenic changes associated to chronic exposure to cannabinoids in rats. His work utilized a good deal of behavioural chemical and immunohistochemical approaches. After completing his doctoral work he spent two years as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa investigating the Neuro-inflammatory and epigenetic changes in animal models of drug abuse. Later, He joined the Centre for Neuroendocrinology at the University of Pretoria where he investigated methodologies for genetic modification of generated and /or isolated neurons (e.g. by CRISPR/Cas9 System). Currently, Oualid holds the position of Behavioural Neuroscience Core Facility Manager at the University of Dundee in the UK.
- Abboussi, O., Harricharan, R., Heeralal, A., Mabandla, M., & Daniels, W. M. (2018). “Anti-Aggressive and Anti-Addictive Like Effects of Ibogaine in Individually and Group-Housed Mice undergoing Chronic Exposure to Methamphetamine.” Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience (in Press).
- Ajonijebu, D. C., Abboussi, O., Mabandla M. V. and Daniels, W. M. (2018). “Differential epigenetic changes in the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex of female mice that had free access to cocaine.” Metabolic Brain Disease: 33: 411-420.
- Harricharan, R., Abboussi, O., & Daniels, W. M. (2017). “Addiction: A dysregulation of satiety and inflammatory processes”. Progress in Brain Research 235:65-91.
- Makhathini, K. B., Abboussi, O., Stein, D., Mabandla, M. V. and Daniels, W. M. (2017). "Repetitive stress leads to impaired cognitive function that is associated with DNA hypomethylation, reduced BDNF and a dysregulated HPA axis." International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience. 60: 63-69.
- Ajonijebu, D. C., Abboussi, O., Russell, V. A., Mabandla, M. V. and Daniels, W. M (2017). "Epigenetics: a link between addiction and social environment." Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences: 1-13.
- Abboussi, O., Said, N., Fifel, K., Lakehayli, S., Tazi, A. and El Ganouni, S (2016). "Behavioral effects of D3 receptor inhibition and 5-HT4 receptor activation on animals undergoing chronic cannabinoid exposure during adolescence." Metabolic brain disease 31(2): 321-327.
- Ajonijebu, D., A., Olayanju, O., Eduviere, A., Adewumi, F., Atodo, K., Akinsanya, B., Oresile, A., Musa, A., Abboussi, O. and Sanya, J (2016). "Effects of Calcitriol Supplementation on the Hematological Parameters of Sleep Deprived Wistar Rats." International Journal of Health Sciences and Research 6(3): 127-134.
- Abboussi, O., Tazi, A., Paizanis, E. and El Ganouni, S (2014). "Chronic exposure to WIN55, 212-2 affects more potently spatial learning and memory in adolescents than in adult rats via a negative action on dorsal hippocampal neurogenesis." Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 120: 95-102.
- Nassim, N., Abboussi, O., Bagri, A., Tazi, A., Hakkou, F., Hamon, M., El Ganouni, S (2010) “Serotoninergic modulations of the anxiolytic/anxiogenic effects of cannabinoid receptor stimulation by CP 55,940 in rats”. Current Topics in Pharmacology, 14(10):25-34.