Megan Crichton completed a BSc (Hons) Human Biology at the University of Dundee in 2007 with an honours project entitled “In search of a molecular link between ?F508 and inflammation in cystic fibrosis”.
In 2010 she moved from NHS clinical pathology to the Centre of Forensic & Legal Medicine within the University of Dundee as a mortuary and toxicology laboratory technician. During this time she completed a MFM in Forensic Medicine which lead on to her first publication.
In 2013, Megan moved to the Tayside Clinical Research Centre to work with Professor James Chalmers and continue her interest in respiratory medicine. Starting as a clinical research technician she later moved into project coordination with a special interest in bronchiectasis research. Currently Megan coordinates a number of respiratory trials including EMBARC, a pan European network for 200 centres that recently completed recruitment of 10,000 patients and has started studying for a PhD.
Megan’s PhD is focussed on identifying new clinically relevant trial end-points for bronchiectasis. Many clinical trials fail, not because of ineffective drugs, but because trials are poorly designed or are measuring the wrong end-points. Megan is interested in making clinical trials more efficient and more effective which is ultimately good for both patients and the research community.
- James D. Chalmers, Megan Crichton, Pieter C. Goeminne, Michael R. Loebinger, Charles Haworth, Marta Almagro, Montse Vendrell, Anthony De Soyza, Raja Dhar, Lucy Morgan, Francesco Blasi, Stefano Aliberti, Jeanette Boyd, and Eva Polverino, on behalf of EMBARC, the European Lung Foundation (ELF) and the EMBARC/ELF patient advisory group. The European Multicentre Bronchiectasis Audit and Research Collaboration (EMBARC): experiences from a successful ERS Clinical Research Collaboration. Breathe (Sheff). 2017 Sep;13(3):180-192. doi: 10.1183/20734735.005117. Review.
- Alison J Dicker PhD, Megan L Crichton MFM, Eleanor G Pumphrey , Andrew J Cassidy PhD, Guillermo Suarez-Cuartin MD, Oriol Sibila MD, Elizabeth Furrie PhD, Christopher J Fong, Wasyla Ibrahim, Gill Brady BSc, Gisli G Einarsson PhD, J Stuart Elborn MD, Stuart Schembri MD, Sara E Marshall PhD, Colin NA Palmer PhD, James D Chalmers PhD: Neutrophil Extracellular Traps are associated with disease severity and microbiota diversity in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 May 12. pii: S0091-6749(17)30746-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2017.04.022. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chalmers JD, McDonnell MJ, Rutherford R, Davidson J, Finch S, Crichton M, Dupont L, Hill AT, Fardon TC, De Soyza A, Aliberti S, Goeminne P: The generalizability of bronchiectasis randomized controlled trials: A multicentre cohort study. Respir Med. 2016 Mar;112:51-8. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2016.01.016. Epub 2016 Jan 29.
- James D. Chalmers, Stefano Aliberti, Eva Polverino, Montserrat Vendrell, Megan Crichton, Michael Loebinger, Katerina Dimakou, Ian Clifton, Menno van der Eerden, Gernot Rohde, Marlene Murris-Espin, Sarah Masefield, Eleanor Gerada, Michal Shteinberg, Felix Ringshausen, Charles Haworth, Wim Boersma, Jessica Rademacher, Adam T. Hill, Timothy Aksamit, Anne O'Donnell, Lucy Morgan, Branislava Milenkovic, Leandro Tramma, Joao Neves, Rosario Menendez, Perluigi Paggiaro, Victor Botnaru, Sabina Skrgat, Robert Wilson, Pieter Goeminne, Anthony De Soyza, Tobias Welte, Antoni Torres, J. Stuart Elborn, Francesco Blasi, on behalf of EMBARC: The EMBARC European Bronchiectasis Registry: protocol for an international observational study. 01/2016; 2(1):1-9. DOI:10.1183/23120541.00081-2015
- Alison Dicker, Megan Crichton, Andrew Cassidy, Stuart Schembri, Sara Marshall, Colin Palmer, James Chalmers: Preliminary data from a longitudinal study of the airway microbiome in COPD. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):OA4748. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.OA4748
- James Hill, Duncan Renton, Hani Abo-Leyah, Megan Crichton, Simon Finch, Thomas Fardon, James Chalmers: Idiopathic and post-infective bronchiectasis show no clinically important differences in outcomes or airway inflammatory profiles. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):OA466. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.OA466
- Duncan Renton, James Hill, Hani Abo-Leyeh, Simon Finch, Megan Crichton, Thomas Fardon, Alison Dicker, James Chalmers: Thrombocytosis is associated with disease severity and outcomes in stable bronchiectasis. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):OA469. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.OA469
- James Hill, Duncan Renton, Hani Abo-Leyah, Megan Crichton, Simon Finch, Thomas Fardon, James Chalmers: A single isolation of pseudomonas aeruginosa predicts poor quality of life and increased exacerbation frequency in adult bronchiectasis. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):PA363. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.PA363
- Mark McKane, Megan Crichton, Alison Dicker, James Chalmers: Validation of a four point sputum colour chart in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):PA3349. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.PA3349
- Wasyla Ibrahim, Megan Crichton, Alison Dicker, James Chalmers: Comparison of three methods for preparation of bronchiectasis sputum supernatents for biomarker measurement. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):PA2630. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.PA2630
- James Chalmers, Melissa McDonnell, Pieter Goeminne, John Davidson, Robert Rutherford, Megan Crichton, Thomas Fardon, Adam Hill, Lieven Dupont, Stefano Aliberti, Anthony De-Soyza: Patients in randomized clinical trials of bronchiectasis are only partially representative of clinical practice: A European cohort study. European Respiratory Journal 09/2015; 46(suppl 59):PA373. DOI:10.1183/13993003.congress-2015.PA373
- Megan L. Crichton, Catriona F. Shenton, Gail Drummond, Lewis J. Beer, L. Nitin Seetohul, Peter D. Maskell: Analysis of phenazepam and 3-hydroxyphenazepam in post-mortem fluids and tissues: Analysis of phenazapam in post-mortem samples. Drug Testing and Analysis 03/2015; 7(10). DOI:10.1002/dta.1790
- Winter, AK, Crichton, ML, Treharne, KJ, Mehta, A, Land, SC: An Investigation of the role of CK2 in the CF Inflammatory Response. European CF Conference - New Frontiers in Basic Science of Cystic Fibrosis Tavira, Portugal 2007