He has collaborated with several industries, specifically on the design and fabrication of mechatronic systems for digital control of robotic platforms. He was involved in the design and implementation of miniaturized digital hardware for digital control of multi-linked and flexible robots and has been involved in several European FP7 Projects.
In 2013, he was awarded of the prestigious SAGES Foundation Felicien M Steichen Surgical Innovation Award, at the SAGES Congress in Baltimore, USA, and in 2016 awarded a prize for the CARPE oral presentation in the Emerging Technology session during the SAGES, Congress in Boston, USA.
More recently, he was invited as a Keynote speaker in the Scientific session - Innovative devices - at the Annual EAES Congress in Amsterdam in June 2016, and the scientific session of SAGES Congress in Seattle in April 2018.
His main research is focused on designs for medical mini robot for screening endoscopy for common cancers of the GI tract and mini robots for surgical operations based on using smart materials for flexible and compliant mechanism (i.e. shape memory alloys, SMAs).
His research is on robotic platform for painless colonoscopy.
He was co-PI in CARPE (Compliant Actuation Robotic Platform for Interventional Flexible Endoscopy). CARPE is a generic modular system (capable of translation into any type of flexible endoscope in current clinical use) consisting of independent segments, mechanics and electronics. The big advance of CARPE, when used to construct a colonoscope over the current version, is that following insertion of the CARPE colonoscope would travel up the colon by its intrinsic snake-like locomotion.
The robot is based on a Mini Compliant Joint (MCJ), with two degree of freedom (DoFs) using Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) wires as actuators providing a compliant mechanism in a synergistic combination, which increases the energy efficiency and mechanical bandwidth performance; and at the same time, reduces heat production and stress on the SMA wires. The MJCs actuates by current-induced contraction of SMA wires, two hollow articulating rings with 2 DoFs. As the rings have intersecting axes, the two torsional springs provide roll and pitch. Such a chain of active MCJs provides sinusoidal motor-less locomotion.
Robotics (MSc), module ME52001
MSc, BSc thesis project supervisor
He has 4 patents on novel actuators and an active system for scale motion and tremor cancellation.
· SAGES Foundation Felicien M Steichen Surgical Innovation Award, at the SAGES Congress in Baltimore, USA, 2013;
· Prize for the CARPE oral presentation in the Emerging Technology session, SAGES, Congress in Boston, USA, 2016;
· L. Manfredi et al. “Low power consumption mini rotary actuator with SMA wires”, included in the Smart Materials and Structures (SMS) Highlights Collection 2017, based on the scientific merit, as identified by SMS reviewers, and represent some of the most downloaded and widely read articles published in 2017.
· L Manfredi, L. Yue, J. Zhang, A. Cuschieri, "A 4 DOFs variable stiffness soft module", Proc. of the IEEE RoboSoft 2018, Livorno, 24-28 April, 2018
· L Manfredi, L. Yue, A. Cuschieri, "A 3 DOFs Mini Variable Stiffness Soft Pneumatic Actuator", Proc. of the IEEE Actuator 2018, Bremen, 25-27 June, 2018
· L Manfredi, Y. Huan, A. Cuschieri, “Low power consumption mini rotary actuator with SMA wires”, Smart Materials and Structures, 2017, Smart Materials and Structures, Sep 2017 115003 (13pp), doi 10.1088/1361-665X/aa8aa4 (Online)
· L. Manfredi, F. L. Velsink, H. Khan, A. Cuschieri. " A variable impedance actuator using shape memory alloy", ACTUATOR 2016, Bremen, 13-15 June, 2016.
· H. Khan, L. Manfredi, Y. Huan, F. L. Velsink, A. Cuschieri. " Analysis of performance and energy efficiency of thin shape memory alloy wire-based actuators, ACTUATOR 2016, Bremen, 13-15 June, 2016
· L. Manfredi, H. Khan, A. Cuschieri, CARPE, Compliant Actuation Robotic Platform for flexible Endoscopy, SAGES, Boston, USA, March 16-19, 2016
· L. Manfredi, A. Cuschieri, “A compliant active robotic platform for colonoscopy”, April 15-18, Nashville, USA, 2015
· L. Manfredi, T. Assaf, S. Mintchev, S. Marrazza, L. Capantini, S. Orofino, L. Ascari, S. Grillner, P. Wallén, Ö. Ekeberg, C. Stefanini, P. Dario "A bioinspired autonomous swimming robot as a tool for studying goal-directed locomotion. Biological Cybernetics" 107(5): 513-527, 2013
· L. Manfredi, A. Cuschieri, “Embedded, miniaturized and distributed control for a colonoscopy robotic platform”, Baltimore, USA, April 17-20, 2013
· L. Manfredi, A. Cuschieri, “Augmented reality in minimal access surgery: comparative study of two second generation see-through head mounted displays for augmented reality”, Baltimore, 17-20 April, 2013
· L. Manfredi, C. Tapia, A. Cuschieri "Relevance of sensory system selection and integration on actuators performance and mechatronic design", ACTUATOR 2012, Bremen, June 18-20, 2012, German
· C. Stefanini, S. Orofino, L. Manfredi, S. Mintchev, S. Marrazza, T. Assaf, L. Capantini, E. Sinibaldi, S. Grillner, P. Dario, “A compliant bioinspired swimming robot with neuro-inspired control and autonomous behavior”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA, May 14-18, 2012, River Centre, Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
· S. Mintchev, C. Stefanini, A. Girin, S. Marrazza, S. Orofino, V. Lebastard, L. Manfredi, P. Dario, F. Boyer “An Underwater Reconfigurable Robot with Bioinspired Electric Sense”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA, May 14-18, 2012, River Centre, Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
· S. Russo, K. Harada, T. Ranzani, L. Manfredi, C. Stefanini, A. Menciassi, P. Dario, “Design of a Robotic Module for Autonomous Exploration and Multimode Locomotion”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 08/2012; DOI:10.1109/TMECH.2012.2212449
· Z. Wang, I. Aarya, M. Gueorguieva, D. Liu, H. Luo, L. Manfredi, L. Wang, D. McLean, S. Coleman, S. Brown, A. Cuschieri (2012) “Image-based 3D modeling and validation of radiofrequency interstitial tumor ablation using a tissue-mimicking breast phantom” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery pp. 941-948, Vol. 7, 2012
· C Stefanini, S Orofino, L Manfredi, S Mintchev, S Marrazza, T Assaf, L Capantini, E Sinibaldi, S Grillner, P Wallén, P Dario “A novel autonomous, bioinspired swimming robot developed by neuroscientists and bioengineers”, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 05/2012; 7(2):025001. DOI:10.1088/1748-3182/7/2/025001
· S. Kernbach, F. Schlachter, R. Humza, J. Liedke, S. Popesku, S. Russo, T. Ranzani, L. Manfredi, C. Stefanini, R. Matthias, Ch. Schwarzer, B. Girault, P. Alschbach, E. Meister, O. Scholz, "Heterogeneity for Increasing Performance and Reliability of Self-Reconfigurable Multi-Robot Organisms”, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS, 2011
· T. Schmickl, R. Thenius, J. Timmis, A. Tyrrell, J. Halloy, C. Stefanini, L. Manfredi, A. Campo, D. Sutantyo, S. Kernbach, " CoCoRo: The self-aware swarm of underwater robots" IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS, 2011
· T. Schmickl, R. Thenius, J. Timmis, A. Tyrrell, J. Halloy, C. Stefanini, L. Manfredi, A. Campo, D. Sutantyo, S. Kernbach, "CoCoRo: A swarm of self-aware underwater robots", ICAR 2011 - 15th international Conference on Advanced Robotics?Tallinn, Estonia, June 2011
· T. Schmickl, R. Thenius, C. Mo ?slinger, J. Timmis, A. Tyrrell, M. Read, J. Hilder, J. Halloy, A. Campo, C. Stefanini, L. Manfredi, S. Orofino, S. Kernbach, T. Dipper, D. Sutantyo, "CoCoRo - The Self-aware Underwater Swarm", SASO, Fifth IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems?Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA; 3-7 October 2011
· S. Orofino, S. Marrazza, T. Assaf, L. Manfredi, L. Capantini, S. Mintchev, C. Stefanini, P. Dario and S.Grillner, “Validation of neural mechanisms through a bio-robotic artefact” , International Workshop on bio-inspired robots, Nantes, France, 6-8 April, 2011
· S. Mintchev, C. Stefanini, S. Marrazza, S. Orofino, L. Manfredi, and P.Dario, "The first connection system for modular underwater bio-inspired robots", International Conference on Intelligent Robot and Systems, IROS, San Francisco, California, 25-30 September, 2011
· C. Stefanini, L. Manfredi, S. Orofino, S. Mintchev, S. Marrazza, T. Assaf, L. Capantini, U.Scarfogliero, E. Sinibaldi, P. Dario, “Development of a compliant snake-like robot”, International Workshop on bio-inspired robots, Nantes, France, 6-8 April, 2011
· S. Mintchev, S. Orofino, S. Marrazza, L. Manfredi, C. Stefanini, P.Dario, “Development of a modular underwater bio-inspired robot”, International Workshop on bio-inspired robots, Nantes (France), 6-8 April, 2011
· D. Zambrano, E. Falotico, L. Manfredi, C. Laschi, “A model of the smooth pursuit eye movement with prediction and learning”, Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2010, pp. 109-118, DOI 10.1080/11762321003760944, Published by Taylor & Francis
· C. Laschi, F. Patanè, E.S. Maini, L. Manfredi, G. Teti, L. Zollo, E. Guglielmelli, P. Dario, “An Anthropomorphic Robotic Head for Investigating Gaze Control”, Advanced Robotics, Vol.22, No.1, 2008, pp. 57-89 (33), DOI 10.1163/156855308X291845, Puglished by VSP, an imprint of Brill.
· E. S. Maini, L. Manfredi, C. Laschi, P. Dario, “Bioinspired velocity control of fast gaze shifts on a robotic anthropomorphic head”, Autonomous Robots, Vol. 25, No.1-2 August 2008, pp. 37-58, ISSN 0929-5593 (Print) 1573-7527 (Online), Published by Springer Netherlands
· N. Greggio, L. Manfredi, C. Laschi, P. Dario, M.C. Carrozza, ”RobotCub implementation of Real-Time Least-Square Fitting of Ellipses”. Humanoids - IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots - Daejeon (Korea) December 1-3, 2008
· L. Manfredi, E. S. Maini, C. Laschi “Neurophysiological models Humanoid Robotics of gaze control in Humanoid Robotics”, In: Humanoid Robots, 2008
· N. Greggio, L. Manfredi, C. Laschi, P. Dario & M. C. Carrozza, “Real-Time Least-Square Fitting of Ellipses Applied to the RobotCub Platform”, In: Simulation, Modeling and Programming for Autonomous Robots, S. Carpin, I. Noda, E. Pagello, M. Reggiani, O. Von Stryk, pp. 270-282, Vol. 5325/2008, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg
· C. Stefanini, L. Manfredi, G. La Spina, G. Orlandi, A. Menciassi, C. Laschi, S. Grillner, P. Dario, “A Bio-Robotic Lamprey Platform for Experimental Investigation on Neuroscientific Models”, 2008 Primo Congresso Nazionale di Bioingegneria, Pisa, Italy, 3-5 July 2008.
· Eskiismirliler; M.A. Maier.; L. Zollo; L. Manfredi; G. Teti; C. Laschi, "Reach and Grasp for an Anthropomorphic Robotic System based on Sensorimotor Learning, Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics”, 2006. BioRob 2006, Pisa, Italy, 20-22 February 2006.
L. Manfredi, E.S. Maini, P. Dario, C. Laschi, B. Girard, N. Tabareau, A.Berthoz, “Implementation of a neurophysiological model of saccadic eye movements on an anthropomorphic robotic head”, Proc. of the IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (HUMANOIDS06), Genova 4-6 Dec. 2006