Joyce gained her undergraduate degree with distinction in Biomedical Engineering from India in 2008. After Graduating from India, she moved to the University of Dundee for an MSc in Biomedical Engineering (2009). For her master's project, she worked with Prof. Sandy Cochran and Dr Paul Prentice (Thesis title- 'Laser Facilitated Cavitation in Ultrasound Fields') at Institute of Medical Science & Technology (IMSaT). In June 2010 Joyce was awarded the SUPA (Scottish Universities Physics Alliance) INSPIRE studentship to pursue a PhD under the physics and life sciences theme. During her PhD, she was seconded to Insightec Ltd & Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Israel to work on a multi-centred EU project ' Nanoporation'. Joyce was awarded her PhD in 2015 (Thesis title - Models for testing contemporary ultrasound systems').
Joyce is currently working as a Research Physicist/Postdocotoral Research Scientist for the Magnetic Resononce Imaging (MRI) group at IMSaT with Prof Andreas Melzer. Her research focuses on validation of image guided therapies (IGT) such as MRI and ultrasound guided focused ultrasound surgery. She is currently working on Clinical translation of patient-specific planning and conduction of focused ultrasound treatment in moving organs- Trans-FUSIMO (www.trans-fusimo.eu), and Focused Ultrasound Surgery using Robotic Appraoches -FUTURA (www.futuraproject.eu).
AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• 2009 Scottish Overseas Research Scholarship
• 2010 Scottish Universities Physics Alliance Scholarship (SUPA)
• 2011 SUPA Annual Meeting – Poster Award
• 2002 Rashtrapati Award from Former president of India “Shri. K.R. Narayanan”
Lectures and conferences
· Joyce J, Nhan Lee, Li Cui, Shilpa Munirama, Roos Eisma, George Corner, Graeme McLeod, Sandy Cochran (2014). Quantitative assessment of soft embalmed human cadavers with ultrasound shear wave elastography. Proceedings of the twelfth International Tissue Elasticity Conference, October 1-4, Lingfield, UK. pp 104-104
· Munirama, S., J. Joyce, et al. (2012). "A comparison of intraneural and extraneural shear modulus in the Thiel-embalmed human cadaver." Anaesthesia 67(11): 1294-1294.
· Munirama, S., J. Joyce, et al. (2012). "Comparison of intraneural and extraneural shear modulus in the Thiel-embalmed human cadaver." British Journal of Anaesthesia 108(4): 712-713.
· S. Munirama., R. Habeshaw, Joyce J., R. Eisma., G. A. Corner., S. Cochran., R. Soames and G. A. McLeod (2011). "Visibility of echogenic and non-echogenic needles in the Thiel cadaver." British Journal of Anaesthesia 107(5): 836p-836p.
Oral and Poster Presentations
· Joyce J, Nhan Lee, Li Cui, Sarah Vinnicombe, Shilpa Munirama,Roos Eisma, Graeme McLeod ,Sandy Cochran . “Quantitative assessment of soft embalmed human cadavers with ultrasound shear wave elastography”. International Tissue Elasticity Conference-2013, October 1st-4th, Lingfield, UK.
· Joyce J, Nhan Lee, Li Cui, Sarah Vinnicombe, Shilpa Munirama,Roos Eisma, Graeme McLeod ,Sandy Cochran . “Quantitative assessment of soft embalmed human cadavers with ultrasound shear wave elastography”. Bio-Engineering Conference-2013, September 16th-18th , Glasgow, UK
· Joyce J, Kotopoulis S, Wang H, Mulvana H, Bush N, Bamber J, Cochran S.“Assessment of the mouse model for pre-clinical development of focused ultrasound surgery”. Ultrasound 2012- The 44th Annual Meeting of the British Medical Ultrasound Society, December 10-12, Telford, UK
· Bjoern Gerold, Joyce J, Oleg Prus, Javier Grinfeld, Alexander Volovyk, Yaov Medan, Andreas Melzer, Sandy Cochran, Paul Prentice. “Laser-nucleated acoustic cavitation: size matters”. WIMRC 3rd International Cavitation Forum 2011, University of Warwick, UK, 4th-6th July 2011
· Joyce J, Y. Yang, I. Karakitsios, R. Eisma, C. Purdie, A. Melzer, S. Cochran, S. Vinnicombe. “Soft-embalmed Human Breast Tissue as a Model for Pre-clinical Trials of HIFU - Preliminary Results.”14th Focused Ultrasound Foundation, October 12-14, 2014, Maryland, USA.
· Joyce, J; Yang, Y; Purdie, C; Eisma, R; Melzer, A; Cochran, S and Vinnicombe, S. “A feasibility study of soft embalmed human breast tissue for pre-clinical trials of HIFU – Preliminary results.” 14th International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound, April 2 – 5, 2014, Las Vegas, USA.
· Joyce J, George Corner, Florian Riedel, Alex Valente, Sandy Cochran. “Automated Transducer Testing and Calibration with a Dynamic Phantom”. IEEE International Ultrasonic Symposium 2011, October 18-21, 2011, Caribe Royale, Orlando, Florida, USA.
· Joyce J, Nhan Lee, Xiaochun Liao, George Corner, Zhihong Huang, Roos Eisma, Sandy Cochran .“Quantitative Comparison of Tissue Mimicking Materials for Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy”. Ultrasound 2012- The 44th Annual Meeting of the British Medical Ultrasound Society, December 10-12, Telford, UK
· Joyce J, McLeod G, Lee N, Munirama S, Eisma R, Corner GA, Cochran S. Quantitative analysis of Thiel human cadavers using shear wave elastography. Annals of Anatomy. 202: 52-56.
· Joyce J, F Riedel, AA Valente, S Cochran and GA Corner (2014) .Automated performance assessment of ultrasound systems using a dynamic phantom. Ultrasound. 22: 199-204.
· Karakitsios, I, Joyce, J, Mihcin, S & Melzer, A (2016)Acoustic characterization of Thiel liver for magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound treatment' Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies. 26(2):92-96
· Munirama, Joyce J, M. Columb, R. Habeshaw, R. Eisma, G. Corner, S. Cochran and G. McLeod (2014). A randomised, single-blind technical study comparing the ultrasonic visibility of smooth-surfaced and textured needles in a soft embalmed cadaver model. Anaesthesia. 70(5).
· Munirama, S., Joyce J, R, Eisma; G, Corner; S, Cochran; G, McLeod (2013). "Shear Wave Elastography: Novel Technology for Ultrasound-guided Regional Anesthesia." Anesthesiology. 119(3) :698.