- MSc Clinical Trials - University of London, (commenced Sep 2013)
- FRCS (ORL&HNS) - Intercollegiate Board, 2012
- DOHNS - Royal College of Surgeons, England, 2006
- MRCS (EDIN) - Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, 2006
- MS (ENT) - Madras Medical College, India, 2003
- Dip.N. B (ENT) - National Board of Examinations, India, 2003
- MBBS - Madras Medical College, India, 2000
Head & Neck Surgical Oncology and Robotic surgery Fellowship programme
Locum Consultant in Otorhinolaryngology 2013-2014 Freeman Hospital, Newcastle
Freeman hospital is one of the largest head and neck oncology centres in the UK, with the widest coverage area and treats 230 new head and neck oncology cases per year. This fellowship offered me focused and advanced training in head and neck cancer surgery. I have been exposed to a wide range of surgical skills including thyroid, parathyroid surgery, reconstructive microvascular surgery, laser surgery and facio maxillary surgery. This fellowship offered me unique training in trans-oral robotic surgery for head and neck cancer.
Otorhinolaryngology Specialist Registrar Training – South Yorkshire Training Programme
Basic Surgical Training - London
My sub-specialist interests are in Head and neck cancer, Thyroid surgery, salivary gland surgery and Laser surgery. I run a multidisciplinary head and neck Clinic with oncologists.
- Best dissector award (rhinology) – 3rd Wrightington/Wigan ENT Dissection Course 26/06/2009
- Gold medal Final year, M.S ENT (2003)
- Best outgoing student and AOI PRIZE ENDOWMENT Final year, M.S ENT (2003) DR MGR Medical University, Chennai
- The Dr. P.V. CHERIAN prize MS ENT (2003) DR MGR Medical University, Chennai
- II place in ENT quiz competition- South Zone (2002) Otorhinolaryngology Association Of India
- Distinctions in Anatomy, Microbiology &Pharmacology (1994-98)
Leadership and Management Skills
Theatre reengineering project-reshaping surgical services
Scottish Government and Institute of Healthcare optimization Joint programme aiming to improve emergency and elective surgical services in Tayside, ENT representative, surgical advisory group since 2014.
Tayside robotic strategic group since 2014
Establishing the Centre for Robotic Surgery in Tayside for Training, Research and Healthcare Service Delivery for Cancer Patients. This proposal presents the case for the establishment of multispecialty, surgical healthcare robotic service for cancer patients in NHS Tayside. This reflects the joint ambition of NHS Tayside and the University of Dundee, working collaboratively under the Academic Health Science Partnership in Tayside (AHSP), to create a leading facility for robotics that will deliver a high quality and cost-effective clinical service for Tayside healthcare training and research.
Enhanced recovery programme (ERP) for ENT head and neck patients 2014 Ninewells
I recognised significant delay in the discharge of major head and neck cancer patients at Ninewells Hospital. I have designed and introduced efficient ERP which has not only reduced inpatient stay from 3 weeks to 1 week but also reduced inpatient infection. I have achieved this with my communication and team working skills. This task was achieved with co ordinate care from pre-anaesthetic team, SALT, nutritionist and ward nurses. Over 6 month period it has saved 48000£ to NHS Tayside.
Trans oral Tayside laser surgery service (TOTALS) for laryngeal cancer
It is new service development programme. I have introduced this programme to treat early laryngeal cancer as day case procedures with Laser Instead of 4 to 6 weeks of radiotherapy. It is cost effective in terms of finance and human resources and also decreases patient morbidity. Workforce planning, teaching and training was challenging task for me in this new service. 2014- 2015 Laser audit showed financial gain of 84980£.
Optimum care delivery system (OCDS) for ENT Head and neck post op patients 2015 Ninewells
I have introduced OCDS for medically challenging major head and neck cancer post op patients. This process was designed to use high dependency units effectively. This was achieved with slow learning/teaching process. This has increased our ward efficiency and productivity. Patient safety was considered as primary goal.
I am the founder and course organiser of this biannual course. My role is supervising event management, workforce planning, resource management, team meeting, and feedback assessment, coordinating national and international faculties (n16) and delegates (n 22). Please see website for further information. It generates 500£ profit approximately per course.
I am the co-founder & course organiser of this annual course in collaboration with Cuscheri skills centre. My role is event management and coordinating team meeting.
Quick track system, 2013
I recognised significant delays (6 weeks) in the despatch of discharge summaries at the Royal Hallamshire hospital and introduced a new, efficient process through service improvement project. I held a storming session with ward sisters, departmental managers, senior house officers and registrars to identify points of delay. I designed a new ‘quick track’ system. I liaised with IT department to install digital dictation devices in wards. I delegated work to teams, monitoring to registrars; any gaps were identified and immediately rectified. The discharge summary now reaches GP by end of one week. The Clinical director hugely appreciated this since the department benefitted through positive feedback from patients and general practitioners alike.
Organizer of Trent regional registrars teaching days
- 28/09/2012 Topic – Audiology & medico legal
- 15/07/2011Topics- Dysphagia, swallowing disorders, pharyngeal pouch, Embryology (pharyngeal arches), fistulas, cleft lip & palate Deep neck abscess 20/11/09 Regional registrars teaching day
My role required exceptional organisational skills to book venues, allot topics, inviting speakers and getting sponsorship.
Organizing committee member
- Sheffield temporal bone course 2011
- Coordinator for weekly Junior doctors teaching, Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- DOHNS course May 2006 and March 2007Whipps Cross University Hospital
- GP ENT course Sep2006Whipps Cross University Hospital
- First National workshop On Brachial Plexus Surgery (Brachial Plexus Surgery Group of India, Jan 2004)
- Executive Coordinator for weekly grand rounds, journal club, duty on call rotes(2003)
- General Secretary of Madras medical college men's hostel 1999-2000
- Conducted many service camps as captain of National Service Scheme like AIDS awareness & blood donation camps (1999)
- Member of a medical exhibition under the rotaract club(1998)
I underwent formal training in creation of websites and I devised and maintain following websites
I am responsible for the live webcasting of this course worldwide.(http://www.entmasterclass.com/webcast.htm)
Cyber text book
I assisted in producing a cyber-textbook of Operative ENT through which 150 surgical videos can be accessed.(http://www.entmasterclass.com/cybertextbook.htm). I am a editor for 2nd edition June 2013.
I acquired a web video editing skill, which helped me to write a chapter in the atlas book: Atlas of Operative Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. It contains 6 surgical videos for e-book and 220 pictures. By using many video editing software solutions, I cropped all images to show the surgical steps.
Travel, gardening and decorating
- British Medical Association
- Scottish Otolaryngological Society
- British Association Endocrine and Thyroid surgeon
Manickavasagam J, Baldwin A, Sivaji N, Raghavan A, Malee F, Ray J. Superior semi-circular canal (SSC) –cadaveric temporal bone anatomical study. 66 temporal bones scanned with CT, SSC dissected in temporal lab, Histology sections were made. Grant obtained from local trust, Published.
- Comparison of radiologically and histologically determined thickness of bone overlying the superior semi-circular canal in sixty-six cadaveric specimens: impact on the diagnosis of Minor's Syndrome. Sandhu JS, Manickavasagam J, Connolly D, Raghavan A, Fernando M, Ray J. Clin Otolaryngol. 2016 Jul 6. doi: 10.1111/coa.12697. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available
Manickavasagam J. I have done a research thesis in Allergic fungal rhino sinusitis about clinical profile, treatment protocol and prospective study about post op treatment with itraconazole from 2000-2003 as part of my MS ENT course which is approved by DR.MGR. Medical university, Madras and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. India
Manickavasagam J, Bateman N, Street I, Irune.E, Brammer A. Radio opacity of various ENT foreign bodies in sheep’s neck preparation. 22 foreign bodies were scanned in the sheep’s neck and radio opacity was graded. Published.
- Effective visualisation of small and mildly radio-opaque foreign bodies in the aero digestive tract--picture archiving and communication systems.Manickavasagam J, Reading NG. Clin. Otolaryngol. 2007 Dec;32(6):507-8.
R.D .Gupta, Manickavasagam. J, Kenyon. G.S Hearing Assessment In Minor Head Injury Patients. (Clinical Trial Ethics Committee Approved)
70 cases of minor head injury patients are selected and audiogram performed within 72 hours of injury. Another audiogram performed for all the cases at 3 months. Controls are selected from the elective cases that are going for septoplasty.
- Thyroid surgery update, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh ENT Communications and OSCE Skills Course (Malaysia, March 2017).
- Parotid surgery update Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh ENT Communications and OSCE Skills Course (Malaysia, March 2017).
- Head and neck airway Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh ENT Communications and OSCE Skills Course (Malaysia, March 2017).
- Update Head and neck cancer Chennai Medical college, Chennai, India June 2016
- Trans oral laser surgery Aberdeen Head and neck cancer study day Dec 2016 Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
- Salivary gland disease Registrar Head and neck study day Oct 2016 Perth Royal Infirmary.
- Role of Neck dissection head and neck cancer- Freeman Hospital, Newcastle May 2016
- ENT laser surgery, Thyroid surgery- Aberdeen ENT update course March 2016
- Dundee Medical school Grand round lectures Trans oral robotic surgery Jan 2015 and Nov 2014 ENT Scotland winter meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNOz8uc88YQ
- Dundee Grand round lectures Tonsil and Tongue HPV cancer June 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHu1zU9YevU
- Current medical management of Meniere’s disease 15/05/09 Regional registrars teaching day.
- FNAC of Thyroid- 18/04/08 Regional registrars teaching day
- ENT emergencies – 02/04/08 Junior doctors Induction, Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- Laryngeal anatomy – 05/07/07 Speech and language therapist, Sheffield
- ENT examination, DOHNS Course - 05/02/2007 Whipps cross Hospital
- ENT surgeries, 2007ENT introductory course for FY1 & 2 - Whipps cross Hospital
- Coordinator for undergraduates, weekly SHO teaching and A & E SHO teaching at Whipps Cross University Hospital.
Dundee FRCS ENT VIVA course: www.frcsentvivacourse.co.uk
First Scottish viva course, biannually for 2 days since 2014. Contains toptip lectures, one to one viva practice, clincial stations with patients, communication skills with actors, 22 participants from all around the world, 27 faculties from all over the UK. Excellent feedback, generated £4000 profit since 2014; £500 donated to Tayside FM Cash for Kids 'Cot and Clothes Appeal.'
Dundee Advanced Cadaveric Laser Laryngopharyngeal Workshop (annually since 2015.)
First national cadaveric hands on laser laryngeal course with live surgery in conjunction with Cuschieri Surgical Skills Centre. Fifteen delegates from all aroundthe world. Excellent faculty from all around the UK. Live video link with USA.
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh NET Communications and OSCE Skills Course (Malaysia.)
ENT Masterclass® is a novel concept to provide high quality training in Otorhinolaryngology, free at the point of delivery. It is a multimedia training platform in Otolaryngology and allied fields, delivered by a faculty of National and International repute. ENT Trainees, General Practitioners and Senior Nurses from the UK, Europe, Australia, America, Africa and Asia have attended and benefitted from these intensive masterclasses. I have been on the organizing committee and webmaster since 2005 to till date.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh ENT Communications and OSCE Skills Course (Malaysia).
- Emergency neck dissection course, Cuscheri skills center, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee
- Thyroid cadaveric dissection course, Cuscheri skills center, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee
- Basic science surgical course for medical students , Dundee University, Ninewells Hospital
- Basic science in otlolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital, UK
- ENT update course Aberdeen, UK
- Joint Aberdeen-
- Head and neck dissection course Newcastle, UK
- ENT MASTERCLASS courses – Organising committee and part of web casting team 2008 – till date
- Sheffield advanced otolaryngology courseSheffield Teaching Hospitals, Sheffield UK. 2012,2013
- DOHNS course, Whipps Cross University Hospital, London 2007
- GP and Foundation Year ENT introductory course, Whipps Cross University Hospital , London06/03/07
I have a deep interest in video teaching. I have learnt professional video editing to edit ENT surgical videos. I can comfortably edit with pinnacle video editing software and so far collected 56 common and uncommon ENT clinical cases’ photographs, imaging and histology pictures. I am making a video e- book for ENT surgeries and disorders. As a pilot project we have created voice pathology DVD. It has increased my clinical knowledge and surgical confidence.
My bed side teaching is well appreciated by medical students.
Head and Neck section Surgtech (www.surgtech.net) which is an otorhinolaryngology surgical ebook
Cyber text book
I assisted in producing a cyber-textbook of Operative ENT through which 150 surgical videos can be accessed. I have edited 2nd edition June 2013.
Publication in Books
Manickavasagam J, Raghavan U. The technique of functional endoscopic sinus surgery Atlas of Operative Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Editors Bachi T Hathiram , Vicky S Khattar, Jaypee Publication, Mumbai, , 2013, volume 2, Chapter 58, p465 ( 6 surgical videos, 220 pictures)
Manickavasagam J Chapter: Epistaxsis & BPPV, Pocket Tutor Otolaryngology Editors; Bhattacharyya Abir, Patel Nitesh, Jaypee Publication London,2012
Publication in Journals
Large retropharyngeal abscess: a case of mistaken identity. Makaram N, Gohil R, Gardiner Q, Manickavasagam J. BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Sep 16;2016. pii: bcr2016216718. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-216718
Comparison of radiologically and histologically determined thickness of bone overlying the superior semi-circular canal in sixty-six cadaveric specimens: impact on the diagnosis of Minor's Syndrome. Sandhu JS, Manickavasagam J, Connolly D, Raghavan A, Fernando M, Ray J. Clin Otolaryngol. 2016 Jul 6. doi: 10.1111/coa.12697. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
Transoral robotic resection of a large schwannoma in the retropharyngeal space. Gungadeen A, Lisseter R, Manickavasagam J, Paleri V. J Laryngol Otol. 2016 Apr;130(4):401-3. doi: 10.1017/S0022215116000190
Alar Suspension Sutures in the Management of Nasal Valve Collapse.Manickavasagam J, Iqbal I, Wong S, Raghavan U. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2015 Sep;124(9):740-4. doi: 10.1177/0003489415582256. Lancer H, Manickavasagam J, Zaman A, Lancer J. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016 Feb;273(2):371-9
Stapes surgery: a National Survey of British Otologists. Lancer H, Manickavasagam J, Zaman A, Lancer J. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016 Feb;273(2):371-9. doi: 10.1007/s00405-015-3560-6.
Nasal valve surgery: assessment of quality of life with the Glasgow Benefit Inventory.Manickavasagam J, Wong S, Varabei V, Raghavan U. Ear Nose Throat J. 2014 Apr-May;93(4-5):174-6, 180.
Robins JMW, Christina Frezzinia, Manickavasagam J and Ray J A Novel case of A Parotid Abscess causing Infection In the Mastoid, Face Mouth & Jaw Surgery 2014;4(2): P 29-32
Congenital familial subglottic stenosis: a case series and review of literature.Manickavasagam J, Yapa S, Bateman ND, Thevasagayam MS. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2014 Feb;78(2):359-62. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2013.10.049.
Sheffield suction holder clips for endolaryngeal laser surgery.Manickavasagam J, Jebreel A. J Laryngol Otol. 2013 Sep;127(9):927-9. doi: 10.1017/S0022215113001734.
Treatment of paediatric laryngeal papillomas: web survey of British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists.Manickavasagam J, Wu K, Bateman ND. J Laryngol Otol. 2013 Sep;127(9):917-21
A novel preliminary step in orbital exenteration.Manickavasagam J, Leeman H, Durham L, Yousefpour A. J Craniofac Surg. 2013 Jul;24(4):1393
Endoscopic removal of a dermoid cyst via scalp incision.Manickavasagam J, Robins JM, Sinha S, Mirza S.Laryngoscope. 2013 Aug;123(8):1862-4.
Clinical coding of transnasal pituitary operations. Mirza S, Manickavasagam J, Sinha S. Br J Neurosurg. 2012 Dec;26(6):934-5
Clinical coding of pituitary operations. Mirza S, Manickavasagam J, Sinha S. Br J Neurosurg. 2012 Jun;26(3):436.
General practitioners versus consultants perspective on indications for paediatric tonsillectomy: current trends.Manickavasagam J, Ali S, Quraishi MS. J Laryngol Otol. 2012 Feb;126(2):163-7.
18. Retropharyngeal abscess from an unusual organism-Kingella denitrificans-in a patient on low-dose methotrexate. Rajanna DM, Manickavasagam J, Jewes L, Capper R. Ear Nose Throat J. 2011 Jul;90(7):E15-7.
Baskaran Ranganathan, Sally Erskine, Manickavasagam J, Jaydip Ray. Fibrous Dysplasia of Mastoid Bone. Ear, Nose & Throat Journal ( 2011) (In Press)
Functional endoscopic sinus surgery chopstick technique.Manickavasagam J, Segaram S, Harkness P.Laryngoscope. 2010 May;120(5):975-7.
Rectal catheter as tracheostomy tube introducer.Manickavasagam J, Ranganathan B, Ryles J, McConachie J. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009 Nov;266(11):1821-2.
Radio opacity of various ENT foreign bodies in sheep's neck preparation.Manickavasagam J, Bateman N, Street I, Irune E, Brammer A. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009 Oct;266(10):1641-4.
A technique for insertion of nasal septal button.Manickavasagam J, Bateman N.Clin Otolaryngol. 2008 Oct;33(5):511-2.
Focal inflammatory myositis of the paraspinal neck muscles.Manickavasagam J, Majumdar S, Bhattacharyya AK. Ear Nose Throat J. 2008 Aug;87(8):430-2.
Irrigation suction drain for neck space infection and mediastinal abscess.Manickavasagam J, Majumdar S, Westin T. Clin Otolaryngol. 2008 Apr;33(2):190-1.
Effective visualisation of small and mildly radio-opaque foreign bodies in the aero digestive tract--picture archiving and communication systems.Manickavasagam J, Reading NG. Clin Otolaryngol. 2007 Dec;32(6):507-8.
A technique for defogging intra tympanic mirrors.Manikavasagam J, Ranganathan B, Dugar J. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009 Oct;266(10):1649.
Non-peer reviewed abstracts
Congenital familial subglottic stenosis- Poster Sep 2011 British Association Of Paediatric Otolaryngology meeting(BAPO) – Author details
Manickavasagam J, Dugar N, Dugar J para sagital reconstruction of computed tomography for Temporal bone- Oral presentation in North of England ENT meeting March 2010, published in JLO
Manickavasagam. J, Wu.I, Bateman.N Treatment of paediatric laryngeal papillomas: web based survey of paediatric otolaryngologists in the UK Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2009) 266:578
M. Raja, Manickavasagam J, K. Jackson, S. Majumdar, A. J. Parker A prospective study on outcome of benign voice disorders. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2009) 266:593
Manickavasagam J , Ali S, Quraishi MS Indications for Paediatric Tonsillectomy General Practitioners (GP) versus Consultant perspective – current trends. Clinical otolaryngology (British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology & ENT Expo [BACO] 2009)
Manickavasagam J, Raghavan U. Quality of life assessment after nasal valve surgery with Glasgow benefit inventory. Clinical otolaryngology (BACO 2009)
A.Hassan, Manickavasagam J, Bhattacharyya. A. Case of mixed hearing loss and facial paralysis following barotrauma; 132nd semon club (nov 2006) JLO
I have reviewed papers for the following journals
- Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine