I am a clinical research fellow and honorary specialty doctor in cardiology at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, United Kingdom. I trained in cardiology at the University of Parma, Italy, where I also did my PhD in Molecular Medicine.
At the moment my main field of interest is the methodology of clinical trials.
Since May 2017 I have been working on several clinical trials conducted by MEMO Research Unit:
- Febuxostat versus Allopurinol Streamlined Trial (FAST) - a prospective, randomised, open-label, blinded endpoint (PROBE) clinical trial evaluating long term cardiovascular safety of febuxostat in comparison with allopurinol in patients with chronic symptomatic hyperuricaemia (>5,706 patients). UK, Denmark, Sweden.
- Allopurinol and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with ischaemic heart disease (ALL-HEART) – a prospective, randomised, open-label, blinded endpoint (PROBE) clinical trial evaluating whether allopurinol improves cardiovascular outcomes in patients with ischaemic heart disease (>5,215 patients).
- Treatment in Morning vs Evening (TIME) study – an online randomised trial of morning versus evening dosing of antihypertensive medications and cardiovascular outcomes (>21,000 patients).
- Evaluating diuretics in normal care (EVIDENCE) – a cluster randomised evaluation of prescribing policy for hypertension.
Lectures and conferences
October 12-15, 2017, Chicago, IL. “13thAnnual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators’ Forum”.
Platelet transcriptome profiling in acute myocardial infarction: a potential predictive biomarker?
- Coli S, Aldrovandi A, Pigazzani F, Cademartiri F. Bilateral coronary ostial stenosis after a Bentall procedure. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Mar 1;18(3):377.
- Gaibazzi N, Bianconcini M, Marziliano N, Parrini I, Conte MR, Siniscalchi C, Faden G, Faggiano P, Pigazzani F, Grassi F, Albertini L. Scar Detection by Pulse-Cancellation Echocardiography: Validation by CMR in Patients With Recent STEMI. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 May 13.
- Marziliano N, Notarangelo MF, Cereda M, Caporale V, Coppini L, Demola MA, Guidorossi A, Crocamo A, Pigazzani F, Boffetti F, del Giudice F, Orsini F, Pirola D, Cocci A, Manzalini C, Casu G, Bianchessi M, Ardissino D, Merlini PA. Rapid and portable, lab-on chip, point-of care genotyping for evaluating clopidogrel metabolism. Clin Chim Acta. 2015 Dec 7;451(Pt B):240-6.
- Coli S, Pigazzani F, Gaibazzi N. Midventricular Takotsubo cardiomyopathy after oxaliplatin infusion: an unreported side effect. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2015 Sep;16(9):646-9.
- Moreo A, Gaibazzi N, Faggiano P, Mohammed M, Carerj S, Mureddu G, Pigazzani F, Muiesan L, Salvetti M, Cesana F, Faden G, Facchetti R, Giannattasio C, Rigo F. Multiparametric carotid and cardiac ultrasound compared with clinical risk scores for the prediction of angiographic coronary artery disease: a multicenter prospective study. J Hypertens. 2015 Jun;33(6):1291-300.
- Gaibazzi N, Pigazzani F, Reverberi C, Porter TR. Rest global longitudinal 2D strain to detect coronary artery disease in patients undergoing stress echocardiography: a comparison with wall-motion and coronary flow reserve responses. Echo Res Pract. 2014 Dec 1;1(2):61- 70.
- Gaibazzi N, Baldari C, Faggiano P, Albertini L, Faden G, Pigazzani F, Rossi C, Reverberi C. Cardiac calcium score on 2D echo: correlations with cardiac and coronary calcium at multidetector computed tomography. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2014 Oct 28;12:43.
- Pigazzani F, Baldari C, Gaibazzi N. Giant left atrium in a young with previously undetected rheumatic valve disease. Eur Heart J. 2014 May;35(18):1204.
- Francesca Notarangelo M, Marziliano N, Antonietta Demola M, Pigazzani F, Guidorossi A, Angelica Merlini P, Ardissino D. Genetic predisposition to atorvastatin-induced myopathy: a case report. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2012 Oct;37(5):604-6.
- Montanari A, Biggi A, Cabassi A, Pelloni I, Pigazzani F, Pinelli S, Pelà G, Musiari L, Cherney DZ. Renal hemodynamic response to L-arginine in uncomplicated, type 1 diabetes mellitus: the role of buffering anions and tubuloglomerular feedback. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012 Sep;303(5):F648-58.