I graduated in India and did an MD in General Internal Medicine. After moving to the UK I completed an MD in the University of Dundee as a Clinical Research Fellow. I then completed training in Geriatric Medicine and General Medicine in Tayside.
As a Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ageing & Health and Honorary Consultant I divide my time between research, teaching, looking after acutely unwell hospitalised older people and outpatient clinics.
Sarcopenia, the age related loss of muscle mass and function, is a major cause of disability, loss of independence and mortality in older people. However all older people are not affected equally. The mechanisms behind the development of sarcopenia are not well understood. My focus of research is to uncover interventions that can prevent or improve sarcopenia and to increase our understanding of the development of sarcopenia.
My current research aims to study the relationship between sarcopenia and cardiovascular disease. Current research projects include trials of medications affecting the rennin-angiotensin-system on physical function in older people.
I contribute to the teaching and assessment of medical students at different stages of their undergraduate course.
Collaborating with National Incentive for Care of the Elderly, Canada, we have designed an educational website for knowledge transfer in the field of Ageing
- Witham MD, Sugden JA, Sumukadas D, Dryburgh M, McMurdo ME. A comparison of the Endurance Shuttle Walk Test and the Six Minute Walk test for assessment of exercise capacity in older people. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2011 Sep 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sumukadas D, Witham MD, Gillespie ND. Use of hand-held echocardiography to facilitate management of cardiac disease in older people. Scott Med J. 2011 Feb;56(1):23-5.
- Henderson S, Boyce F, Sumukadas D, Witham MD. Changes in serum magnesium and phosphate in older hospitalised patients - correlation with muscle strength and risk factors for re-feeding syndrome. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010 Dec;14(10):872-6.
- Burton LA, Sumukadas D. Optimal management of sarcopenia. Clin Interv Aging. 2010 Sep 7;5:217-28.
- Sumukadas D, Witham MD, Struthers AD, McMurdo M. Day length and weather conditions profoundly affect physical activity levels in older functionally impaired people.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 Apr;63 (4):305-9.
- Sumukadas D, Jenkinson F, Witham MD.Associations and consequences of hypophosphatemia in older hospitalised women.AgeandAgeing 2009;38(1):112-115.
- Sumukadas D, Laidlaw S, Witham MD. Using the RT3 accelerometer to measure everyday activity in older, frail people. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2008;20(1):15-18.
- Sumukadas D, Witham MD, Struthers AD, McMurdo ME. ACE inhibitors as a therapy for sarcopenia - evidence and possible mechanisms. J.Nutr.Health Aging 2008;12:480-5.
- Witham MD, Sumukadas D, McMurdo ME. ACE inhibitors for sarcopenia – As good as exercise training? Age Ageing 2008;37:363-5.
- Sumukadas D, Witham MD, Struthers AD, McMurdo ME. Effect of perindopril on physical function in elderly people with functional impairment: a randomised controlled trial. CMAJ. 2007;177:867-74. (Winner of 2007 Bruce P. Squires award for paper of the year. The article published in Canadian Medical Association Journal that significantly contributed to the mission of the journal.