Mr Wigderowitz graduated from medical school in Brazil in December 1982, with his first registration being in January 1983. He then engaged in a general surgery training programme and took the general surgery exam of the Brazilian College of Surgeons in 1985, followed by four years of training in Orthopaedics and the exam of the Brazilian Society of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery; passed in 1988. He continued with training undergoing a Master by research including a thesis on Microarterial anatomosis of the femoral artery in rats by two different techniques, which investigated the differences of the telescoping technique. The practical work was done in the University of Sao Paulo, a world class micro surgery centre and the viva for this work took place at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro in 1992. During this period Mr Wigderowitz was working with services in Brazil largely dedicated to upper limb reconstruction, having participated in several Brachial plexus reconstructions, free flaps and replantations.
In 1993 Mr Wigderowitz came to Dundee to pursue a PhD, which eventually concluded with the thesis “Spectral Analysis of Cancellous Bone X-rays for the Study of Bone Structure, Strength and Aging” with the Viva conducted in 1997. Following this successful conclusion he was invited by Professor David Rowley to stay and by February 1997 had started working as a clinical lecturer under the supervision of Mr. John Dent, then Senior Clinical Lecturer. In 1999 he had his qualifications fully accepted and was included in the specialist register of the GMC. In 2001 he was promoted to Senior Clinical Lecturer with an honorary consultant post with the NHS.
Since then Mr Wigderowitz has been working on the upper limb service, with on-call service for hand trauma and elective Hand, Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. He is a member of the BESS and BSSH, where he is currently an examiner for the diploma. In 2003 Carlos became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, where he currently contributes to the Research Committee. He is also the Chairman of the local medical research Ethics Committee and the Program Director for the Trauma and Orthopaedic Postgraduate Program of the East of Scotland Deanery. Mr Wigderowitz has also supervised over 40 master students in the past 10 years and several PhDs and MDs.
For many years Carlos’ main hobby is photography which he likes to integrate with his passion for travel. He also plays tennis “badly”. Examples of his photography skills can be seen at www.wigderphoto.co.uk
- Vascularized Fibular graft arthrodesis as salvage for severe bone loss following failed revision total elbow replacement. Preiss RA, Wigderowitz CA. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol DOI 10.1007/s00590-010-0686-5
- Objective assessment of the alterations in wrist mobility with the fastrak(®) system following dorsal capsulodesis. Jariwala AC, Scott I, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wigderowitz CA.Hand Surg. 2010;15(3):237-41.
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of arthroscopic lavage in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a mixed methods study of the feasibility of conducting a surgical placebo-controlled trial (the KORAL study).Campbell MK, Skea ZC, Sutherland AG, Cuthbertson BH, Entwistle VA, McDonald AM, Norrie JD, Carlson RV, Bridgman S; KORAL study group.
- Determination of the EC50 of levobupivacaine for femoral and sciatic perineural infusion after total knee arthroplasty.McLeod GA, Dale J, Robinson D, Checketts M, Columb MO, Luck J, Wigderowitz C, Rowley D. Br J Anaesth. 2009 Apr;102(4):528-33. Epub 2009 Feb 24.
- Automated assessment of polyethylene wear in cemented acetabular components using anteroposterior radiographs of total hip replacements. Stuart Kerrigan C, McKenna SJ, Ricketts IW, Wigderowitz C.Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2008 Apr;32(3):221-38. Epub 2008 Feb 1.
- Adapting the Fastrak system for three-dimensional measurement of the motion of the wrist. Wigderowitz CA, Scott I, Jariwala A, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007 Dec;32(6):700-4. Epub 2007 Oct 24.
- Learning active shape models for bifurcating contours. Seise M, McKenna SJ, Ricketts IW, Wigderowitz CA.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2007 May;26(5):666-77.
- Influence of bone quality on the strength of internal and external fixation of tibial plateau fractures. Ali AM, Saleh M, Eastell R, Wigderowitz CA, Rigby AS, Yang L. J Orthop Res. 2006 Nov;24(11):2080-6.
- Continuous interscalene infusion and single injection using levobupivacaine for analgesia after surgery of the shoulder. A double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Kean J, Wigderowitz CA, Coventry DM. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2006 Sep;88(9):1173-7.
- Biomechanical testing of the fractured distal radius treated with a new bone cement--is it strong enough? Sripada S, Rowley DI, Saito M, Shimada K, Nakashima T, Wigderowitz CA. J Hand Surg Br. 2006 Aug;31(4):385-9. Epub 2006 May 24.
- Dorsal capsulodesis for scapholunate instability--effect on patient disability and wrist pain. Konduru RS, Scott I, Mehdi R, Dent JA, Abboud R, Wigderowitz C. J Hand Surg Br. 2006 Jun;31(3):311-6. Epub 2006 Feb 14.