Graduating from one of the premier and renowned medical schools in India, Mr Arun Ramanathan continued his training in the field of medical sciences and completed his postgraduation in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery in India which led to him being awarded a Master’s degree (Master of Surgery). He further expanded his knowledge and experience in this specialty by acquiring MCh in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery at the University of Dundee. He underwent surgical training in England and Scotland before diverging to clinical academia and research.
Mr Ramanathan is currently involved in investigating biomechanics of the foot and ankle, and modelling a new prosthesis for the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint. He has made significant contributions to the various distance learning courses offered by the department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery and his commitment towards medical education is unquestionable. His fields of interest are foot and ankle surgery, arthroplasty, biomechanics and sports medicine.
- Press-fit ceramic implant arthroplasty of the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint: Evaluation of Outcomes. The Foot (2008); 18: 34-39. Ramanathan AK, Fadel GE, Jain AS, Abboud RJ.
- Off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts: does cost matter? Ramanathan AK, John MC, Arnold GP, Cochrane LA, Abboud RJ. British Journal of Sports Medicine (2008); 42: 750-752.
- Foot pressure in clubfoot: the development of an objective assessment tool. Herd F, Ramanathan AK, Cochrane LA, Macnicol M, Abboud RJ. The Foot (2008); 18: 99-105.
- The effects of off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts on forefoot plantar pressure. Ramanathan AK, John MC, Arnold GP, Cochrane LA, Abboud RJ. Gait and Posture (2008); 28: 533-537.
- A new scoring system for the evaluation of clubfoot: the IMAR-clubfoot scale. Ramanathan AK, Herd F, Macnicol M, Abboud RJ. The Foot (2009); 19: 156-160.
- Repeatability of the Pedar-X® in-shoe pressure system. Ramanathan AK, Kiran P, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ. Foot & Ankle Surgery (2009); Article in press: doi 10.1016/j.fas.2009.05.006.
- A two-stage method of radiological and multimodal neurophysiological localization of thalamic and pallidal targets. Forster A, Drew TS, Tulley M, Latimer M, Varma TRK. XII meeting of the world society for stereotactic and functional neurosurgery (1997).
- Technology for psychomotor skills testing in endoscopic surgery. Hanna GB, Drew TS, Cuscheri A. Semin Lap Surg. (1997): 4:120-124.
- Psychomotor skills for endoscopic manipulations: differing abilities between right and left handed individuals. Hanna GB, Drew TS, Clinch P, Shimi S, Dunkley MP, Hau CM, Cuschieri A. Ann Surg (1997): 225:333-338.
- A microprocessor-controlled psychomotor tester for minimal access surgery. Hanna GB, Drew TS, Clinch P, Hunter B, Shimi S, Dunkley MP, Cuschieri A. Surgical Endoscopy vol 10 pp 965-969 (1996).
- A numerical model of an intensive care ventilator-humidifier system. Drew TS, Vardy A, Tarnow-Mordi W, Lerski R. Medical Engineering and Physics vol 18 pp251-261 (1996).