EndNote is a reference management software. It can help you keep all your books, articles and resources in one place and also manage your references, using your preferred referencing style.
EndNote X9 is available for students via AppsAnywhere on all University of Dundee computers. Staff members using the Windows Staff Desktop on Windows 7 can use EndNote X8. All staff and students can also get a personal copy of EndNote x9.2 for their own device. To get the full EndNote software on your own computer outside the University, including if you are a Distance Learning student, you will need to contact Help4U.
Importing records from library resources and databases (EndNote Desktop)
You can import records for books and journal articles into EndNote directly from Library Search and other databases, without the need for other software or tools. All you need to have is an EndNote library.
- First of all, find an article that you’re interested in and click on the title.
- Once you are in the article page and you see the article details (title, author(s), date, abstract, etc.), you will find an EndNote or Export button (or something similar, depending on the database you are using). Click on it.
- Your browser will download a small file. It should appear at the bottom of your screen, or on the top right (depending on the browser you are using). Click on the file to open it. It should automatically open with EndNote.
- You will see the reference details in EndNote.
- Follow the same procedure to add other records.
Every database utilises a different way of importing records. Look for the following (or similar) options:
- Citation manager
- RIS format
Useful training links:
- Guide for EndNote by the University of Dundee Library
- EndNote X9 (Desktop) quick reference guide
- EndNote Online quick reference guide
- EndNote YouTube channel
Dealing with references can sometimes be difficult, but help is at hand. Come along to one of our hands-on training sessions which will introduce you to the basics of EndNote. You will learn how to keep all your references in one place, select a referencing style, and manage your references within Word. Our sessions are suitable for everyone, from 1st year students to staff.
For further details, please contact us.