From 1 September 2017, there will be a new automatic speed-gate system in the Main Library. The new system will improve security in the building, and reduce bottlenecks at the entrance, as there will no longer be the need to manually check cards.
You will need to scan your University ID card at the gates to both enter and exit the building.
What you need to know:
- Students don't need to do anything. The library gates will be automatically added to their card privileges
- Staff whose cards are activated for other entry systems around the University will also have their cards automatically activated for the library gates
- External members of the library will also get a compatible access card
- Students who forget their card will be able to use a tile in eVision to access their barcode, which can be displayed on their phone and used to activate the gates. A mobile app is coming in 2018.
- A Visitor Management Service is also in the pipeline, which will allow staff to email a barcode pass to planned visitors
- If you don't have any access privileges set up on your card, staff at the Library Reception Desk will activate it for you. This will only need to be done once.
- If you don't have an ID card, please contact the Enquiry Centre to request one