Our Service Standards underpin our Customer Charter and provide customers with an indication of the level of service they can expect in a number of key areas. Service standards are monitored, reviewed, and results reported regularly in order to continually improve the delivery of your Library service.

Service Delivery

Opening Hours

  • We aim to open all libraries 100% of their advertised hours.
  • Planned closures or changes to service will be advertised 2 weeks in advance. Adverse weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances may impact on this, and where possible will be advertised.


  • The LLC will provide a help service throughout staffed service hours.
  • Library members visiting the InfoZone will not have to wait more than 5 minutes.
  • InfoZone staff will resolve 80% of enquiries at first point of contact, referring the other 20% to appropriate colleagues.

Self-service machines

  • We aim to provide self-service facilities 100% of the time, although failure of equipment may impact on this.
  • In the event of failure of equipment during staffed service hours, we will provide an alternative means to borrow or return items.
  • We commit to a maintenance contract with our self-service supplier to minimise the possibility of equipment downtime.

Learning and Teaching

  • All students will be offered a Library induction.
  • We aim to respond to all requests for a one-to-one meeting with a member of LLC staff in 3 working days although it is likely you will receive a reply or initial response within 1 working day.
  • We will offer structured information and digital literacy skills sessions to all programmes which will be deemed satisfactory by 95% of sampled attendees.

Disability / equal access / opportunities

  • Students who have disclosed a disability will have access to a range of specialised facilities and support. Named contacts will have responsibility for these services.



  • 100% of books returned to their home library will be shelved within 24 hours.

Inter-library Loans

  • 95% of requests will be processed within 3 working days of receipt.
  • 90% of requests will be fulfilled within two weeks.?


The Main Library will be patrolled on an hourly basis during opening hours to maintain a safe and comfortable study environment.  This will include:

  • Checks of the learning environment for defects and cleanliness.
  • Reporting to Estates & Buildings any building defects.


General enquiries

  • We will acknowledge all enquiries, feedback and complaints within 1 working day (where contact details are provided) and will provide an initial response within 5 working days.

Online chat

  • You should not have to wait any longer than one minute for an online chat.
  • The quality of our online chat responses should average Satisfactory or above.

External Engagement

  • A member of LLC staff will attend and participate in all School-based Committees as required.
  • Members of the Senior Management Team will meet with DUSA SRC (Student Representative Council) annually. LLC Senior Management also meet members of DUSA Executive monthly.
  • Our responses to LLC surveys will be made available to users as soon as possible and within three months of completion.

Evaluation / Surveys


  • We will undertake a comprehensive survey of all users on an annual basis.
  • We will aim to achieve:
    • At least 90% satisfaction rating with the services customers receive.
    • At least 90% satisfaction rating for responses to customer enquiries, feedback and complaints.


We will aim to achieve:

  • At least 90% satisfaction rating on Question 19 in the National Student Survey ("The library resources (e.g. books, online services and learning spaces) have supported my learning well.")
  • At least 90% satisfaction rating on the Library question of the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey.
  • At least 90% satisfaction rating on the Library question of the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey.