Cowan Ervine is an honorary teaching fellow at the University of Dundee Law School. He was previously a lecturer and senior lecturer at Dundee, joining the Faculty of Law in 1972 having qualified as a solicitor in Northern Ireland. He has also been a visiting scholar and visiting professor at the University of Santa Clara, California on the Fulbright Programme.
He was a member of the Scottish Consumer Council from 1986 - 94 and a member of the Sheriff Court Rules Council from 1990 - 2000. He is Scottish editor of Butterworths Trading and Consumer Law.
His research is principally in the area of Consumer Law. His book, Consumer Law in Scotland, is now in its fourth edition and The Small Claims Handbook in its third.
Recent articles have dealt with remedies and quality standards in relation to the supply of goods.
In addition, he has written on dispute resolution, particularly as it affects consumers.
- 2006 Cowan Ervine, "Cure and Retender Revisited" in Journal of Businesss Law, pp. 799-816
- 2004 Cowan Ervine, "Satisfactory Quality: What Does it Mean?" in Journal of Business Law, pp. 684-703
- 2004 Cowan Ervine, "The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations in the Courts" in Scots Law Times (News), pp. 137-141
- 2003 Cowan Ervine, "The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002" in Scots Law Times (News), pp. 67-71
- 1999 Cowan Ervine, "The Sale of Goods Act, Section 58" in 4 Scottish Law and Practice Quarterly, pp. 217-226
- 2008 Cowan Ervine, "Consumer Law in Scotland", 4th Edition, W. Green & Son ISBN: 978-0414017009
- 2003 Cowan Ervine, "Small Claims Handbook", 2nd Edition, W. Green & Son ISBN: 978-0414012066
- 2010 (reissue) Cowan Ervine, 'Consumer Credit entry' in The Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia of the Laws of Scotland (Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia)
- 2006 (reissue) Cowan Ervine, 'Consumer Protection entry' in The Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia of the Laws of Scotland (Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia)
- 2006 Cowan Ervine, 'Regulating Socially Harmful Lending : Reform in the United Kingdom' in Liber Amicorum Bernd Staude,r Droit de la onsummation / Konsumentenrecht / Consumer law Sous la direction de Luc Thévenoz et Norbert Reich (Nomos, pp. 77-93)