M.A (Hons) University of St Andrews
M.Sc. (Dist) University of Edinburgh
Hon. LLD University of St Andrews
Kevin Dunion was the first Scottish Information Commissioner (2003-2012), responsible for enforcing the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004. He is now Honorary Professor in the School of Law, and Executive Director of the Centre for Freedom of Information. He is also a Visiting Professor at Northumbria University.
He is a member of the World Bank’s Access to Information Appeals Board and Board member of the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.
Prior to becoming Commissioner he was for many years engaged in environmental research and campaigning, and in 2000 was awarded an OBE for services to Friends of the Earth International, of which he was Chair (1996-2000).
He was Rector of the University of St Andrews (2008-2011) and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts?.
His book Freedom of Information in Scotland in Practice is the first authoritative text on freedom of information law and compliance since the law was introduced.
Whilst Honorary Senior Research Fellow at the University of Strathclyde he pursued a particular interest in environmental justice, which led to the publication of his book Troublemakers - the Struggle for Environmental Justice in Scotland.
Currently he is researching issues affecting the interpretation and enforcement of access to information laws internationally and recently published a report 'In the Experience of Information Commissioners' resulting from surveys of Commissioners conducted in 2013.
- 2011 Dunion, K. 'Viewpoint: In Defence of Freedom of Information' in Information Polity, 16(2), 93–96.
- 2000 Kevin Dunion, "The Campaign for Environmental Justice in Scotland" with E Scandrett and G McBride in Local Environment Vol.5, No.4, pp. 467-474
- 2011 Kevin Dunion, "Freedom of Information in Scotland in Practice", Dundee University Press
- 2003 Kevin Dunion, "Troublemakers - The Struggle for Environmental Justice in Scotland", Edinburgh University Press
- 1995 Kevin Dunion, "Living in the Real world - the international role for Scotland's Parliament", SEAD
- 2010 Kevin Dunion, 'Freedom of Information in Scotland and the UK : Time to Notice the Difference' in R.A Chapman and M. Hunt(eds) Freedom of Information- Local Government and Accountability (Ashgate)
- 2002 Kevin Dunion, J. Holbrook and B. Sargent 'The Role of Indicators in Reporting on the State of Scotland and its Environment' in M.B. Usher, E.C. Mackey and J.C. Curran(eds) The State of Scotland's Environment and Natural Heritage (The Stationary Office)
- 2001 Kevin Dunion, E. Scandrett 'The Campaign for Environmental Justice in Scotland as a response to poverty in a northern nation' in Julian Agyeman, Robert D Bullard and Bob Evans(eds) Just Sustainabilities (Earthscan/MIT Press)
- 2000 Kevin Dunion, 'On the Scottish Road to Sustainability?' in A. Wright(eds) The Scottish Parliament: the Challenge of Devolution (Ashgate)
- 1999 Kevin Dunion, 'Sustainable development in a small country: the global and European agenda' in E. McDowell and J. McCormick(eds) Environment Scotland : The Prospects for Sustainability (Ashgate)
- 1994 Kevin Dunion, 'The World Bank and the Politics of Sustainability' in I. Yngstrom, P. Jeffrey, K. King and C. Toulmin(eds) Gender and Environment in Africa (Centre of African Studies, University of Edinburgh)
- 1991 Kevin Dunion, 'Local authorities and international links' in A. Brown and D. McCrone(eds) Scottish Government Yearbook (Edinburgh University Press)
- 2013 "United Kingdom Progress Report 2011-2013" in Open Government Partnership Independent Reporting Mechanism
- 2013 "In the Experience of Information Commissioners" in a report of the Centre for Freedom of Information