Mayra teaches Spanish at all levels from the Languages for All programme, to final year undergraduate and on our graduate diploma course.
Her particular roles are:
- Co-ordinator of Spanish - Applied Languages
- Co-ordinator of Spanish - Languages for All
- Programme Leader - Graduate Diploma in Spanish (distance learning course)
She also teaches on the 3rd and 4th year - Vision of Europe - module, which uniquely is a non-language module taught in Spanish.
She co-organised, and contributed to, the Consejería de Educación, Scottish Association of Language Teaching (SALT) Spanish workshops in 2012. These will be held in Dundee again in 2014.
Top tips for students
Before studying this course, Mayra recommends that you visit a Spanish speaking country.
- MLitt in Teaching Modern Languages to Adults (TMLA) University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, 2008
- Diploma in Teaching Modern Languages to Adults (TMLA) University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, 2006
- Certificate in Teaching Modern Languages to Adults (TMLA) University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, 2004
- Diploma in Environmental Legislation for Industry Procuraduría Federal para la Protección del Medio Ambiente (Federal Attorney’s Office for Environmental Protection) Mexico City, Mexico, 1995
- LLB Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (Metropolitan Autonomous University), Mexico City, Mexico, 1994
- Certificate in Evidence, Medical and Criminal Law Metropolitan Autonomous University, Mexico City, Mexico, 1992
- 2011 - present: Lecturer in Spanish (f/t), University of Dundee, Languages.
- 2007 - present: Spanish Examiner, Institute of Linguists (IoL), Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen.
- 2010 - 2011: Lecturer in Spanish (p/t), University of Dundee, Languages.
- 2000 - 2011: Spanish Lecturer in Spanish (p/t), University of Abertay Dundee, Business School, Division of International Business and Communication.
- 2008 - 2010: Teaching Fellow in Spanish (p/t), University of Dundee, Communication and Languages Studies (CALS).
- 2007 - 2011: Tutor in Spanish (p/t), Dundee City Council, Educational Development Service.
- 2007 - 2010: Spanish Assistant (p/t), Harris Academy, Grove Academy and St. John’s High School, Dundee City Council, Educational Development Service.
- 2008 - 2010: Spanish Lecturer in Spanish (p/t), Dundee College, Melrose Campus, Dundee, Scotland.
- 2006 - 2008: Spanish Interpreter and Translator, NHS Speech and Language Department, Perth and Kinross, Scotland
- 2000 - 2007: Spanish Teaching Fellow in Spanish (p/t), University of Dundee, School of Applied Linguistic and Language Studies (SALLS),Dundee, Scotland
- 1995: Legal Analyst, North American Commission for Environmental Co-operation, Mexico City
- 1994 - 1995: Legal Analyst, Fideicomiso de Fomento Minero (National Mining Works Trust of Mexico), Mexico City.
- 1994: Legal Assistant, Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Co-ordination of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection, Mexico City.