Research Dissertation - HY40001
- Level 4
- 30 Credits
- Semester 1 or Semester 2
- History - School of Humanities
- Coursework 100%
- Single Hons History or Scottish Historical Studies students required to take the Dissertation module. Joint Hons History students required to take Dissertation in either discipline.
The History Research Dissertation gives you the opportunity to:
- develop your research skills,
- engage in an in-depth study of a topic of your own choice,
- undertake a piece of genuinely independent historical research work,
- foster your investigative, creative and organisation skills which are necessary not only in historical research, but also in many areas of graduate employment.
All Single Honours History/Scottish Historical Studies students are required either to undertake a Dissertation or a 60-credit Special Subject module. All Joint Honours History students are required to undertake a Dissertation in one of their two subjects or a 60-credit Special Subject module.
The choice of your research topic will be made after consultation with the History Dissertation Co-ordinator and an appropriate member of staff as supervisor. The topic should usually grow out of a Level 3 module, or be linked to one of your intended Level 4 modules.
Dr Martine Van Ittersum
To be supervised by individual staff members according to topic.
Your independent study project is assessed as follows:
- Dissertation 80%
- Viva 20%