HIC’s first priority is to address information governance, data security and confidentiality issues.
Key HIC Security Measures:
For more information on HIC’s data management environment and how the Data Linkage Service (DLS) is managed within secure processes please see the HIC User Guide.
- Network separation between data & data users.
- Secure rooms for HIC staff.
- Backup & off-site copies.
- Identifiable data is received by HIC in encrypted form and is stored and processed in secure areas on the NHS network, accessible only to HIC technical staff.
Data requests and releases
- All data requests and releases, along with copies of all necessary approvals, are stored on the HIC Project Management System.
- All HIC processes are governed by HIC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). New versions of the HIC SOPs are created in consultation with and approved by NHS Data Governance staff.
- HIC are inspected by an external auditor annually, commissioned by the NHS Tayside Director of Public Health.
- Researchers and other data users work within the HIC Safe Haven and sign a HIC Data User Agreement.
- Data users are only provided with anonymised data, unless project-specific approval is obtained by NHS Caldicott Guardian.
- The HIC Governance Committee, chaired by the NHS Tayside’s Research & Development (R&D) Director, reviews the audit report, SOPs and any adverse events, recommending improvements to HIC processes and information governance.