Welcome events for Economics BSc students
Updated on 13 September 2022
What you need to do, and when during your first week for these courses starting in September 2022.
Welcome message from your Dean
May I take this opportunity to extend to you a warm welcome to Scotland, the City of Dundee and the School of Business at the University of Dundee. We are delighted that you have decided to join us and will be part of our student community. You are joining one of the UK’s leading Universities and a School of Business which is recognised as delivering a high-quality business education and who has established an international reputation for excellence in the student experience.
I look forward to meeting you throughout your time here at the School of Business.
Professor Morris Altman
Matriculation is where you officially register as a student with the University of Dundee, to allow you to attend classes and access facilities such as the Library and My Dundee. You'll be asked to matriculate at the start of every academic year while you are a student.
- Before you start your course we will send an email to your student email address with a link to eVision.
- You will be asked to complete a series of steps to confirm some information we hold about you, or enter this information if it was not supplied in your application.
- Please also take a moment to make sure your address details are correct and up to date. Even if you are staying in temporary accommodation we will need local contact details - your address can be updated in eVision later if you move.
- You will also need to agree to the University’s Code of Conduct and Declaration.
- The final stage of the task will confirm you are a fully matriculated student with the University.
You will be able to check your matriculation status via the Student Profile tab.
Your student ID card
Have you uploaded your photo to eVision?
We will tell you how to collect your physical student ID card, which:
- verifies your status as a student of the University of Dundee
- provides access to the library and other buildings as required
- entitles you to a range of student discounts
Once you have received it, you should carry it with you and produce it on request at any time while you are on the University campuses. You should not let anyone else use it.
Introducing the BSc
Please read the School of Business Economics Studies BSc module choices booklet. This provides an overview of the structure of the BSc programme and advice on choosing your modules.
Choosing your modules
Please ensure you read the BSc Economic Studies Module Choices booklet before completing your module choice form:
- Please complete the module choice form, if possible, no later than Friday 16 September 2022
- Please ensure you choose 120 credits worth of modules.
- Please ensure you have chosen any core modules for your pathway and also subjects that will give you a second degree pathway.
You should then use the module choices form to submit your module choices.
During Welcome week you will be invited to an Advising Session with your Adviser of Studies. Here you will be able to ask any questions and make any changes in respect of your module choices.
Direct Entry to Year 2
Please read through the Direct Entry to Level 2 BSc module guidance document.
Wednesday 21 September 2022
Carnelley Large Lecture Theatre
10:00 Introduction to the day - this will include a welcome from Professor Bill Russell, Associate Dean (International and Student Admissions) and Professor Morris Altman, Dean of the School of Business. Helena Drylie, a 4th year Accounting student will also give a welcome to new students.
10:30 Introduction from Programme Leads in the School
11:00 Introduction to the University of Dundee Careers Service
11:15 Presentation by Centre for Entrepreneurship
11:30 Presentation by Dundee University Business Society
11.45 Closing remarks from Professor Bill Russell
Carnelley Large Lecture Theatre
13:00 - 14:00 Welcome and Introduction to all Level 1 Economics students
This will be followed by an opportunity for you to meet with your Adviser of Studies in face-to-face meetings. You will be given details of your Adviser of Studies and the venue for your meeting in advance of Welcome week.
Classes will begin the week commencing Monday 26 September 2022. Please check your personalised timetable for classes and please check My Dundee for module information.