Connect to SonicWall VPN on macOS
How to install and use the VPN to get remote access to secure services on your Mac. The VPN is only for use when off campus.
Find out when you need to use it before connecting as many of our services no longer require the VPN
How to install
The way you install the VPN depends on whether your Mac is managed or unmanaged/personal. Once installed, the VPN will appear in your Applications folder. It doesn't leave an icon in the menu bar.
You need to have Java installed on your Mac for the VPN to work. This comes in your download if you're a managed Mac user. If you're not, you need to take extra steps to install it.
- Search Self Service for the VPN and click INSTALL (the install includes a Java download)
- Wait until you get a pop-up saying your install was successful
- The new Connect Tunnel VPN client is now available in your Applications folder
First install the Connect Tunnel client:
- Go to the Dundee University VPN access portal
- Select Dundee University from the drop-down list and click Next
- Enter your University login (full username including dundee.ac.uk) and click OK
If you have a username that doesn’t include your ID number (students) or end with a number (staff), make sure you enter it correctly.
- Click Install Connect Tunnel to download the .dmg file
- Open the file you've just downloaded and double-click on the icon to open then run the installer
- Enter your Mac password (don't use your University login details here)
- Click Finish to complete the installation
Now find out if you need to install Java by opening the Connect Tunnel client from your Applications folder. If a message appears asking you to install Java:
- Click More Info which will take you to the Java website
- Download and install Java
- Double-click on the icon to open then run the installer (again, enter your Mac password and not your University details)
Go back to the Connect Tunnel file in your Applications folder and click on it to launch - it should work now.
How to connect
Go into your Applications folder and click on the Connect Tunnel VPN client
The first time you use it you may be asked for some of the following information:
- Select Dundee University in the Configuration field and click Connect
- Enter Dundee University in the Name field
- Enter uod.vpn.dundee.ac.uk in the Server field
- Click Save then Connect to add the configuration
The VPN client will remember these details the next time you launch it
Enter your University login details (as above) and click Connect
Check your connection
You will see an icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen once you've logged in. If you hover your cursor over the icon, it'll let you know your connection status. Right-click on this icon and select Disconnect when you want to end your connection with the VPN.
Disconnect from the VPN
Remember to disconnect from the VPN when you have finished using it. Click the icon in your menu bar and click Disconnect.
IT Service Deskhelp4u@dundee.ac.uk