Stay at home, save lives | Coronavirus updates and guidance
Using breakout groups in Collaborate
Create a space for small-group work during your Collaborate session
On this page
One of the features available within Collaborate is to create breakout groups. When students are within their groups they'll be able to:
- share video
- share files
- share screens
- use a shared whiteboard
- use the polling function
- use the text-based chat function
This is all discrete within their group, although moderators can go into any of the groups.
Create your breakout groups
- Go into the Share Content area (see the guide for Getting started with Collaborate).
- Go into the Breakout Groups area.
- Either randomly assign the groups, or manually drag and drop the students into your chosen groups.
- If you need to add more groups, click on the plus icon in the groups area. To remove groups, click on the icon of a trashcan.
- Once you're ready, click Start at the bottom of the screen.
Moderate your breakout groups
You can go into the breakout rooms you have set up by clicking on the rectangular icon with an arrow to the right of the group.
You can end the breakout sessions and bring everyone back into the main room by clicking the square 'stop'button at the top right of the window.
Centre for Technology and Innovation in Learninghelp4u@dundee.ac.uk