Registering with the police

Updated on 16 May 2022

If you are on a student visa, you may be required to register with the police. This guide explains who needs to do this and what you need to do.

On this page

If you need to register with the police, you will be told on either:

  • your entry clearance vignette (the yellow sticker in your passport)
  • the decision letter or email you got from the Home Office

When you register with the police, you will be issued a police registration certificate. It is important you keep this document in a safe place. You do not need to carry it around with you.

You can find more information from Police Scotland and a link to the Registration forms at the Police Scotland website.

New students to the UK

The University welcomes the local police team to campus throughout the year to help register new students. You can check if there is an upcoming registration event by emailing

If there is no on campus availability you will email the local police to arrange an appointment at the police station


For your appointment at the Police Station you will need the following:

  • your passport
  • your biometric residence permit (BRP card) or your visa decision letter if you have not yet collected your BRP card
  • two passport size photographs - taken recently and at the same time
  • £34 in cash (unless you are attending an organised event and have paid online)
  • registration form (please complete this before arriving for your appointment)

The police may take some time to respond to your email requesting an appointment. You may also be allocated an appointment later than within 7 days or arriving in the UK as stated on your vignette. Provided you have requested an appointment and attend on time you will be meeting this visa requirement.

Previously studied in the UK 

If you have previously studied in the UK and registered with the police your certificate will still be valid, provided you have not left the UK for a continuous period of more than 1 year. You will need to update the police with your new details at the Police Station within 7 days of arriving. To do this you will need to go the Public Enquiry Office at West Bell Street Police Station.

If you have left the UK for more than a year you will need to re-register.

Keeping your certificate updated

Once you have registered you will need to inform the police of the following changes in your circumstances within 7 days:

  • new address
  • any new landing conditions
  • extensions to your visa granted by the Home Office and the details of your new BRP card
  • new passport
  • new study information or change to university/college
  • new employment

To update the police on any of these changes you need to take documentation relating to your change in circumstance (e.g. your new passport or tenancy agreement) and your certificate of registration to the public enquiry office at West Bell Street Police Station. Updates are made free of charge.

If you lose your certificate of registration or it has been damaged, you should email the police at for an appointment for a replacement registration document. Please include in your email your residential address, University name, a photo or scan of your UK entry vignette and the front of your biometric residence permit card.

Your police registration certificate does not expire unless you leave the UK for a period longer than 1 year.

Further information on police registration and the opening times for the West Bell Street police station can be found on the Police Scotland website.


Immigration Compliance

+44 (0)1382 386750