Complete the student self-certificate form

Updated on 4 May 2022

You can self-certify, without seeing a doctor, for the first 7 days of an absence. You may need this form as evidence for mitigating circumstances, or for absence reporting.

On this page
Adjustments specific to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic
  • You do not need to provide medical confirmation of any illnesses at this time, instead you can do what is called ‘self-certify’. You can do this for an absence/illness of up to 7 days – you will not need a medical certificate from your GP.
  • For illnesses longer than 7 days, it may be difficult to get a medical certificate from your GP at this time; please obtain what you can and, in circumstances where this has not been possible, explain and evidence why this is the case
  • It may be particularly difficult to get medical evidence if you have had Covid-19. So, the mitigating circumstances committee will accept a copy of the NHS text message confirming the diagnosis, or equivalent from your own country of residence.
  • If you have been involved in providing support to the coronavirus effort, as a medic, nurse, social worker, educator or carer for an affected person(s) or in any other capacity, you can self-certify and explain the nature and extent of your contribution for the School Mitigating Circumstances Committee to consider.
  • If you have responsibilities such as looking after your children, dependants, or others, which are specific to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. Please let your School know when they occur so we can offer support when you need it.
  • If you have technology issues including problems with internet access and access to IT equipment. Please let your School know when they occur so we can offer support when you need it. If you then need to submit mitigating circumstances around technology issues please make sure you clearly indicate the impact on your studies of these issues.
  • Circumstances relating to the coronavirus may mean that the composition of the Mitigating Circumstances Committee might have to be different. For example, if a staff member is unwell or unable to perform the role, or indeed if the University needs to take priority action to ensure certain categories of students (such as medical, social work and nursing students) are considered urgently to allow them to support the national effort for coronavirus. Please be assured that the Committee will comprise academics from the University of Dundee and suitably qualified staff and will maintain the required standards of fairness and confidentiality.

How to report an absence

  • Stay in contact with your School Office, and wherever possible, on first day of absence.
  • All sections of the form to be completed.
  • The form must be emailed to your School Office, along with your Mitigating Circumstances Application Form and, if appropriate, any other evidence which supports your application.
  • The University Health Service will only provide a doctor’s letter (if appropriate), if you have actually been seen by medical/nursing staff whilst unwell. Letters will not be given retrospectively.

Details of absence

  • The self certificate normally only covers the first 7 days of absence.
    • In instances related to coronavirus you can self-certify for a period for up to 14 days, you will not need a medical certificate from your GP.
  • If you find it difficulty to get an appointment with your doctor during the coronavirus pandemic you may self-certify during this period using this form.
  • A GP may provide evidence of illness but may charge for this service.
  • If you have been seen by a GP whilst unwell, you can contact the GP medical centre/practice to discuss obtaining a letter without booking another appointment
  • Remember to include weekends and days on which you were not timetabled to attend in the dates of absence.

Reason for absence

  • Try to give as many details as possible.
  • Words like "unwell" or "illness" are not acceptable.
Where to submit your self-certificate form

Please email this form to the appropriate school office

Find your school office
Download self certificate form (Microsoft Word)

Health Service

+44 (0)1382 384168

Guide category Student support