What is Staff Council?
**Note: Academic Council has now been redesignated as Staff Council. Amended Charter, Statute, Ordinances and Regulations will follow.**
The Charter of the University of Dundee states that:
"There shall be an Academic Council of the University which shall consist of the Principal, the Vice-Principals, if any, the Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers, Lecturers, Assistant Lecturers, Librarian and all other full time members of the Academic Staff and such other members of the University as shall be designated by the Senatus*. The Principal shall be the Chairman of the Academic Council. The powers and functions of the Academic Council and all other matters relative thereto which it may be thought proper so to regulate shall be as prescribed in the Statutes or Ordinances."
* Senate has designated all members of the Academic Related staff as members of the Council.
Information on Staff Council can also be found in:
Regulations regarding elections to Court and Senatus Academicus by the Staff Council:
- Senate Regulations (Ordinance 18)
Representatives on Court and Senatus
Two representatives of the Council are elected from time to time to serve on the Court and the Senatus. The Council's current elected members on Court are Professor Tim Kelly and Professor Dame Sue Black and the current elected members on the Senatus are Dr Anna Notaro and Professor Niamh Nic Daéid.
Staff Council Standing Committee
As stated in Ordinance 27, "There shall be a Standing Committee of the Staff Council consisting of fifteen members, of whom, at the conclusion of each annual election, six shall be and nine shall not be members of the Senatus Academicus".
View the Members of the Standing Committee.
The functions of the Standing Committee shall be as follows:
- to prepare the agenda for meetings of the Staff Council;
- to advise concerning the calling of Special Meetings of the Staff Council under Statute 15(3) and on the calling of meetings of the Staff Council outside term time;
- such other functions as the Staff Council may from time to time determine.
Regulations regarding the election of Staff Council Standing Committees:
- Academic Council Regulations found on University Calendar web page (these regulations were made under Ordinance 27)
Meetings of the Standing Committee in 2016/17
- 31 October 2016
- 6 February 2017
- 4 April 2017