The University is enhancing the way in which we engage with our alumni. Recognising the importance of maintaining strong relationships with our graduates we are modernising our approach in order to create new and enhanced communication channels.
Prior to a fully-funded Alumni Relations office, the Graduates’ Association Business Committee was central to maintaining contact with our graduates. Over the past 5 years, the Alumni team have been creating new ways to keep in touch with our graduates, such as facilitating reunions, volunteering opportunities and the new Alumni Chapters, of which there are 17 across the world so far.
We now plan to improve this further by communicating with graduates through the following routes:
- Nomination by the Court of a member of the Court to serve as an intermediary for graduates wishing to make representation to the Court on all matters affecting the well-being and prosperity of the University;
- Strategic updates to be shared with alumni in the quarterly alumni newsletter;
- Launch of Alumni Ambassador programme in our key geographic regions;
- Launch of a recognition scheme for alumni volunteers and ambassadors;
- Targeted regional communications;
- Utilisation of emerging social media platforms;
- Increase engagement with students through the transition from student to graduate;
- Convene Alumni Advisory Groups to inform future University developments.
The proposed changes have been endorsed by the Graduates' Association Business Committee.
If you have any comments on the above proposals, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information on the current arrangements is provided below.
The Royal Charter established The University of Dundee and provided for a Graduate's Association. The Graduates' Association is governed in accordance with:
- Statutes (Graduates' Association)
- Ordinance 20 (Graduates' Association)
- Graduates' Association Regulations
Students who graduate from Dundee University with either a Degree or Diploma automatically become life members of the Graduates' Association. Honorary Graduates are also members of Graduates' Association. In total there are some 60,000 members of Graduates Association spread across 150+ countries, and that number grows each year. Graduates of the following colleges are also members of University of Dundee Graduates' Association:
- Queens College (University College)
- Northern College of Education (Dundee)
- Dundee College of Education
- Tayside College of Nursing and Midwifery
- Fife College of Health Studies
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art
The Graduates' Association meets at least once each year, at which time an the Principal's annual report is received. In between times business is progressed by the Graduates' Association Alumni Advisory Committee, which meets twice a year on Saturday mornings usually in December and May, and receives reports from the Director of External Relations, Senior Alumni Alumni Relations Officer and from Graduates' Association Members of Court. The Alumni Advisory Committee may also suggest possible nominees to the Honorary Degrees Committee.
The Alumni Advisory Committee is made up of:
- Eight members of Graduates' Association who are elected at an Annual Meeting. These six members are elected in groups of two, each serving a four-year term
- Up to 2 co-opted members
- The Convener of the Committee
- The Graduates' Association members of the University Court
- President of DUSA or their nominee
The Remit and Terms of Reference for the Committee is reviewed on an annual basis.