Independent external review

After we have given you our final decision, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it. 

The SPSO are an independent organisation that investigates complaints.  They are not an advocacy or support service (but there are other organisations who can help you with advocacy or support).

You can ask the SPSO to look at your complaint if:

  • you have gone all the way through the University of Dundee's complaints handling procedure
  • it is less than 12 months after you became aware of the matter you want to complain about; and
  • the matter has not been (and is not being) considered in court.

The SPSO will ask you to complete a complaint form and provide a copy of our final response to your complaint.  You can do this online at or call them on Freephone 0800 377 7330.

You may wish to get independent support or advocacy to help you progress your complaint.  See the section on Getting help to make your complaint in the Guide for Students.

The SPSO’s contact details are:


Bridgeside House

99 McDonald Road



 (if you would like to visit in person, you must make an appointment first)

Their freepost address is:


Freephone:                   0800 377 7330

Online contact


There will also be ongoing dialogue between the Ombudsman's office and the University to highlight good practice or summarise trends and general issues in any complaints raised with that Office against the University

In terms of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman Act 2002, the University is under an obligation to make arrangements for members of the public to inspect or obtain copies of any reports of an ombudsman investigation against it.  Decision reports are available from: