Research Finance Services (RFS) provides a seamless service provision to Academic staff for the end to end management of research grant applications and awards. Working closely with Tayside Medical Sciences Centre, TASC, we also administer non-commercial research grant applications on behalf of NHS Tayside.
The RFS team provides professional support across all aspects of application and award management. Academic staff have a single point of contact for provision of costs, advice on scheme terms and conditions and submission of grant application, through to set up of project code in 1U, monitoring awards, submitting claims, submission of final expenditure statements, audit and award transfer. The team support maximum cost recovery on research awards through extensive knowledge and experience of the funding environment.
RFS provides data, analysis and reports on research activity to support strategic management and decision-making at both School and University level. The team are also responsible to provide research finance data for regulatory reporting such as HESA and REF.
RFS maintains strong collaborative relationships internally across Schools and Directorates as well as sector-wide with other universities and external funding bodies.
Useful information and Forms
Project Registration Form for TASC
Project Registration Form for EC Horizon 2021
Full Economic Costing (fEC)
Estimating your time on a project using full fEC
Frascati Definition of Research
Guidance - Grant funding for Scientific technologies
Grant Applications: Pre-award
The RFS Research Finance Officer:
- acts as the primary point of contact within RFS for support with grant applications;
- facilitates the process of costing and submitting grant applications working in conjunction with academic staff and School administrative staff as appropriate;
- provides advice on terms and conditions of funding, including the eligibility of cost elements;
- undertakes calculation of staff and indirect costs in line with Full Economic Costing methodology;
- provides assistance with the submission of applications, which is increasingly software based;
- ensures compliance with University and NHS Tayside policies during the grant application process;
- liaises with Contracts Managers, Research Development Managers, IPR Managers (all RIS), School administrative staff and other administrative offices, both within and out-with the University, in order to complete grant applications. Maintains dialogue with funding bodies on behalf of academic staff to clarify application procedures;
- ensures seamless transfer of business to the post-award environment where cost centres are established, liaising with RIS re any contractual issues as necessary;
- maintains electronic records of the progress of grant applications to award/failure including the RFS database system.
Grant Applications: Post-award
- create accounts within CODA for new projects;
- confirm to HR that adequate funding is in place for appointments to the research award;
- undertake invoicing and correspondence with funding bodies including annual reconciliations, statements and reports;
- pursue research debt;
- oversee expenditure activity and income on research projects;
- allocate overhead recoveries;
- liaise with grant holders, heads of departments and external agencies;
- assist with budgeting and forecasting; ensuring project budgets are maintained and information regarding income and overhead achievement is shared with the Schools.
RFS will arrange (by charging the research project and crediting departmental overhead recovery account codes) the recovery of overheads as agreed in the original award figures. Overhead recovery amounts will vary to the type of funder and the individual agreement entered into between the University and funding body. The need to maximise overheads recovery, to contribute towards the general running costs of the University is very important with Schools having targets for these recoveries set through the Academic Budget Model.
Each research project has an individual, unique set of terms and conditions, details of which are kept by RFS.
These terms and conditions will specify the frequency, format and content required by the funder when the University seeks reimbursement. RFS are responsible for securing reimbursement, either by invoice or grant claim direct to the funding body.
Supporting information and reports may be required from Academic members of staff to accompany the claims/invoices and it is helpful if such documents can be produced to coincide with any timetable incorporated into the award terms and conditions.
Completion of Projects
When a research project is ended RFS will liaise with the PI/School to ensure that the project is closed in a timely manner and that all eligible expenditure has been processed. The project cost centre will then be closed by the Management Accounting Section to prevent further transactions being posted to the account.
Grant Award Transfers
When a grant-holder transfers in or out of University of Dundee, there are procedures to be followed, depending on the funder and the circumstances of the transfer. The grant-holder should contact the Research Manager, Aileen Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org at the earliest opportunity to discuss requirements.
RFS and RIS record all research and related activity that they provide support for on a database system (IRIS). IRIS records all activity up to the point of transfer to the post-award system. Reports can be provided from IRIS in various formats, to individuals, Deans, etc. as required. Requests should be made to the Research Manager, Aileen Ward at email@example.com.
RFS maintain award information currently on the Research Projects database including start and end dates, project budget, award holder and sponsor information. Reports can be produced drawing on data both from the database and the financial systems providing information on spend, income, overhead etc. in various forms for PIs, school managers and others. Requests should be made to the Senior Research Accountant, Katie Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RFS is responsible for supplying information to contribute to many different reports including:
- Transaction reporting to funders
- End of Grant Spend Reports for funders
- HESA return
- HEBCIS return
Research Finance Services is situated on Level 2 of the Tower Building.