Honorary Degree Nominations
Every year during Graduation ceremonies the University awards a small number of Honorary Degrees to individuals who have achieved something outstanding in their field. In recent years this has included academics, architects, fashion designers, authors, musicians, sportsmen and women, people in the media, and in the public eye.
We’d like you to suggest people you think have made an outstanding contribution.
For guidance, we ask that any person nominated can meet the majority (but not all) of the following criteria:
- be someone who have made an whether that be commerce, education (by teaching, research, or administration), or other public service;exceptionally meritorious contribution to their chosen field
- has an outstanding record of voluntary and selfless service to the community;
- has relevance to the life and work of the University or have some connection to it or to the locality;
- serves as an example of ambition and achievement to the University's students and graduands;
- enhances the University's academic or general reputation; and
- has the potential to act as a champion and supporter of the University.
Current members of staff and students are not eligible for consideration, nor are currently serving politicians. We do not generally award honorary degrees posthumously.
If you have someone you would like us to consider please complete this nomination form.
The deadline for suggestions for consideration is 5pm Tue 16 October 2018. Potential candidates will then be considered by the Honorary Degrees Committee, which meets in November. At this meeting potential candidates will be considered for award in 2019 and beyond.
After this deadline responses will still be considered for future committee meetings, so please keep telling us your ideas.