Jill trained as a teacher in the 1980s and has experience of teaching at all stages in the primary school from Primary 1 to Primary 7. For many years Jill combined her teacher career with her interest in local politics. From 2003 to 2007 she was Leader of Dundee City Council and she returned to teaching in August 2007. Now working as a member of the School of Education, Social Work and Community Education at Dundee, her responsibilities include supporting distance learning students in the field of Childhood Practice and pre-service teaching with B.Ed. and PGDE students.
Jill is a trustee of the oldest children's charity in Scotland, Carolina House Trust, and a member of the Council of the Al Maktoum College, Dundee. When not working, she enjoys family life with her husband Sami and son Adam.
- MA (Hons) Political Science and Social Policy (University of Dundee)
- PGCE (Dundee College of Education)
- PGDE (University of Dundee
- PG Cert THE (University of Dundee)
- MEd (University of Dundee)
- Collaborative working
- Games-based learning
- Global citizenship
- Pre-service teaching in educational studies
- Module leader for Pedagogical Studies (M.A. in Education)
- Module leader for Leading and Managing Quality Childhood Practice (B.A. in Childhood Practice)
- Module leader for Level 9 Professional Project (B.A. in Childhood Practice)
- Supervision of 4th year thesis students
- Convener, Level 9 BA in Childhood Practice