Welcome to the School of Education & Social Work (ESW). Our primary purpose as part of the University of Dundee is to transform lives locally and globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge.
How do we do this?
- Within the School, we focus on transformation by preparing graduates for professional roles required for the social, cultural and physical well-being of our citizens and society.
- Our research focuses on how to best educate students across all levels of formal education, how to develop strong communities, and how to support our most vulnerable.
- Finally, through our community service or consultancy activities we are engaged with local, regional and international communities, professional organisations and governmental agencies.
We are an interdisciplinary school providing excellent professional education and research opportunities across undergraduate, masters and doctoral levels. Our programmes range from qualifying and post-qualifying programmes that are professionally recognised, to continuing professional development courses that meet the needs of busy professionals, to research opportunities that use rigorous scientific enquiry that underpin curriculum development while informing national policy making.
Our subject rankings...
- Education at the University of Dundee has been ranked Top in the UK for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2019), and within the top 10 in the UK generally (7th in The Complete University Guide 2020, 8th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). It was also ranked within the top 150 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018.
- Social Work at the University of Dundee has also been ranked within the top 10 in the UK (9th in The Guardian University Guide 2020, and 6th in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).
As of May 2019, our school holds an Athena SWAN Bronze award, recognising our commitment to gender equality for all in our University community. Athena SWAN awards are widely recognised standards for gender equality and require substantial action on the part of an institution and its people. These awards emphasise the University’s and School’s continued commitment to this vital work, which underpins our ambitions to be a diverse institution with a shared purpose.
Our team of vibrant and dynamic academic staff are rightly proud of their innovations in teaching and learning, their commitment to student learning, and the contributions our students go on to make in their professional careers across the globe.
Follow the links within the navigation panel to find out more about the programmes we offer, the research we do, or the bespoke training/consultancy we provide. Also please feel free to contact us to find out more about what we do or who we are.
A hundred thousand welcomes await you. Fàilte.